Ignition and choke warning lights P2 1947

Any parts you want or have to get rid of, tell us here
David2021

Ignition and choke warning lights P2 1947

Post by David2021 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:14 am

I want to replace my dashboard warning lights. The choke is from a TR2/3 or similar & the Ignition keeps shorting out! They are available "new" with black or chrome bezels (I think they should be black, but...) no doubt some of China's finest. A last resort.
I would prefer working original used & I am looking for both. Choke 38043 Ign 38046 Lucas numbers (the difference is the colour of the glass!)
PM me if you can help

SHyslop

Re: Ignition and choke warning lights P2 1947

Post by SHyslop » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:46 pm

This is a path I've trodden a few times. I had quite a few of these lamps to find last year and I started by buying two new ones from Vintage Supplies, made by their associate company SVC. Both were completely useless, the brass on the threaded contact was too soft and broke off on both, not heavy handedness as I've worked with model railways and cameras for many many years. I did try to make something of them but they were a complete dead loss. I did find some decent used/old stock ones on ebay but the supply of good ones has just about dried up at that source. The ones on offer now tend to look rather tired and dear for what they are, traders trying to offload tired remnants at the bottom of the box. A few weeks ago I needed to find a suitable Rover lamp and eventually decided to buy one of the new Lucas WL3 lamps, the cheapest I could find being £40 I think. It says on the box "Country of origin - UK" so that was a good start and it was just the job. It looks right with the black rim for a Rover and for the difference between a used one in unknown condition and new one that fitted well and works and looks right, I think the extra money was well spent. 238018, red; 238020 amber.

Watch out for the external resistance/continuity wires particularly on second hand ones. They can be of either type, the one to reduce the voltage to 2.5 volt for a 0.2 amp bulb, the second just to provide continuity in the circuit for a 12 volt 2.2 amp bulb. Contrary to what SVC/Vintage Supplies say, these wires are not just decorative on their new products, they are essential on all these lamps but if you want a bright lamp then the 12 volt one is the type to have, if you want the faint pre war look, the 2.5 volt one is the job.

David2021

Post by David2021 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:30 am

Thanks for that information....arrived a bit too late! I have located a pair of used ones, but if I don't like the look of them they will go back and I will follow your route! The existing Ignition lamp has a 12v bulb (held in by a spring wound round the thread....(?) and no obvious resistance wires. (nor spring to hold it into the dash.....). No doubt the fact it was able to wobble about caused the smoky short.
The choke lamp is completely wrong (& will go on e-bay!). I have to check the wiring...it did work but doesn't now...a wire has been dislodged somewhere.

luli

Post by luli » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:44 pm

I have modified old ones to be used with leds and they work well. See here:
https://lulis.org/2017/10/19/%d7%99%d7% ... %99%d7%98/
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

David2021

Post by David2021 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:45 am

Thanks Luli, I may go down that route eventually, but I have a box of 12v2.2 bulbs! A helpful guide to dash assembly
On thing that I did not realise before reading this is that the WL3 has to be be fitted into the steel dash panel from the front and that the strong retaining spring fitted and held in place from the back of the panel before fitting the bezel etc. This way the lugs in the WL3 and the slot in the metal panel can be aligned before completing the fitting/wiring. To do this I think the metal dash panel has to be pulled forward after it has been separated from the wooden dashboard, The WL3 cannot properly be fitted in from the front- unless the lugs on the WL3 are filed off & the lamp held in by the bezel! I bet a lot are!. Oh dear. I did not want to take the metal panel off AGAIN!

SHyslop

Post by SHyslop » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:59 am

In one way, it's just unfortunate that you're working with the 1947 dash assembly as it is the one you definitely can't reach the back of, being the most boxed in. The pre war models are more accessible and can be worked on with a bit of dexterity with the dash in place. However, it is also possible to make a pretty secure fitment of the horseshoe clip and spring type (casing with no external coiled wiring only) by finding a casing that is a very tight fit in the steel panel then filing a little off the side all round carefully until it will be gripped tightly enough in the hole. Once the wiring has been connected up, it should push back into the steel panel and sit there quite happily, a bit of a one way journey but as the bulb can be readily changed through the front and if the wiring has been replaced and well put together, it shouldn't require any further attention for a long time.

David2021

Post by David2021 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:53 pm

All sorted!