fuel tank vent on a p3/75

Any parts you want or have to get rid of, tell us here
deckell

fuel tank vent on a p3/75

Post by deckell » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:54 pm

Can some learned person out there tell me if the fuel tank on a p3 75 is vented or not, if so where do i look for it. last week when i was having fuel problems the vehicle was parked out side in the sun, a warm day for winter here. when taking the fuel inlet line of the carburetor the fuel was being forced out by pressure i presume was coming from the fuel tank.i replaced the inlet line, i then opened the fuel filler cap and a hissing noise of pressure came out.i then removed the inlet pipe again the fuel did not come out.which makes me think it should have a vent.thanking you in anticipation regards Derrick.Smith

lakesrally

Re: fuel tank vent on a p3/75

Post by lakesrally » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:36 pm

From the P3 manual for removing the petrol tank "Disconnect the air vent hose by pulling the hose off the pipe on the tank alongside the filler neck."

luli

Post by luli » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:47 pm

The air vent is completed by a little hole in the fuel feeler cover (1 o'clock in the photo):
http://lulisml.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/harir.jpg
This hole should not be clogged.
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

deckell

Post by deckell » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:43 am

Thank you to lakesrally and luli i have now found a clogged vent. should the seal rubber also have a hole in it thanks again best regards Derrick.Smith

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:52 am

If you mean sandwiched between the two metal parts on the filler cap, I have a cork seal in there, not a rubber one, and yes there is a cut-out to allow the vent to communicate between the holes in the two metal plates. The arrangement on my cap looks very slightly different to Lili's picture but maybe his picture is a P2?