New member with a 1946 P2 Ten

Please announce yourselves here when you join
egil

New member with a 1946 P2 Ten

Post by egil » Fri May 19, 2023 10:50 am

Hello all, I am Egil from Norway, thanks for welcoming me to the forum and the club. I have just acquired a 1946 Ten saloon. It was referred to as a Six Light, which I must admit I do not entirely understand, it seems to me by 1946 Six Light simply refers to the standard small saloon body, but would appreciate enlightenment on the subject.
There is regretfully very little historic documentation, but I believe this RHD car was brought to the country in the sixties by an enthusiast, which may explain its, in my mind, quite workable original condition. Which was one reason I bought it, on impulse, admittedly. The paintwork is original as far as I can tell, and everything including engine, electrical equipment and interior (with the exception of the carpet, will get back to that) seems mostly original. It starts easily enough (on the crank, the starter motor is too weak, will have to look at that), the steering has a bit too much play, but most importantly the brakes are pretty much not there. I have high hopes that it is possible to get excellent braking after attending to the various bits of the brakes, esp. the expanders, the drums do look reassuringly big. I have ordered the club documentation package, which I am eagerly looking forwards to receiving.

GOY189

Re: New member with a 1946 P2 Ten

Post by GOY189 » Fri May 19, 2023 5:14 pm

Hello Egil,
Welcome to the Forum, Six Light refers to the number of windows in the sides of the body. ASS regards the starting problem you should check the connections on the solenoid and at the battery. There may be a high resistance in the battery cable somewhere or the brushes on the starter may be worn.

The brakes are very good indeed if properly set up. With my 1946 10hp Kitcher Special, I stripped the brakes down and replaced the small dowels in the piston on each expander, These had been badly worn by the brake rod and the circular eye in each rod had worn oval. I drilled and sleeved the rods and achieved excellent brake efficiency scores on the road worthiness test.

Hope this helps and as always this is covered by the Rover Sports Register's disclaimer:-
The Person raising the question uses the response and/or the advice given at their own risk.
Whilst every care is exercised, neither the RSR nor the individual responding are in any way responsible for any incident involving the response however caused.

Mike Maher Chairman

egil

Re: New member with a 1946 P2 Ten

Post by egil » Fri May 19, 2023 7:44 pm

Thanks for the quick and clear reply, appreciated.