New Member starting a restoration project

Please announce yourselves here when you join
AdrianGoodyear

Re: New Member starting a restoration project

Post by AdrianGoodyear » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:29 am

Glad to see I'm not the only daft person doing such things!
How far have you gents got to on your projects? I'm afraid I'm not brave enough to do the bodywork/trimming myself. But, once the body is off I shall start on the chassis and running gear. Whilst none of this is started, the things that are exercising my brain are suspension and engine refurbishment. Have either of you found any services that you could recommend? I'm not intending to do a full chassis strip down but rather to remove bits, get them sorted and sort out (wire brush and Hammerite) as I go.
I'm hoping to get this completed this year and then reunite the (immaculate!) chassis and body.
We will not mention the garden and other domestic projects.
Retirement eh! What larks!

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:28 pm

I'm not a fan of Hammerite for chassis, better with something like Frost Chassis paint.

AdrianGoodyear

Post by AdrianGoodyear » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:27 am

Interesting comment - what's your objection to Hammerite? I do have some reservations about Hammerite - mainly on the grounds that it's too glossy and therefore not quite as the car left the factory. But I would be interested to know if anybody has any (other) suggestions. My main concern is to keep the car as close as possible to its original finish and durability. So far, no paint has been purchased so I'm open to suggestions.

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:43 pm

I've used Hammerite on a few metal objects over the years and when it gets chipped/scratched and water gets in/underneath it retains moisture and causes rot