New Member starting a restoration project

Please announce yourselves here when you join
AdrianGoodyear

New Member starting a restoration project

Post by AdrianGoodyear » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:33 am

Having had my 1947 Rover 12hp Saloon for some time I have decided the time has come for me to join the RSR and get my car sorted. I have opted for separating the body and chassis, sort out the chassis and get someone who knows what they're doing to sort out the bodywork. So...
Following the removal of pretty much all of the bolt on body bits (wings, doors, what's left of the running boards, floor boards, etc) and removed the five (each side) bolts and the two at the rear end of the transmission tunnel, I had hoped I would be in a position to separate the bodywork from the chassis. Alas, no - the two seem to reluctant to part.
I wonder if anyone else has been down this route and encountered the same problem. Or have I just missed something. I'd be grateful for any comments or suggestions. Otherwise it'll be a big hammer and a pry-bar

paul williams

Re: New Member starting a restoration project

Post by paul williams » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:03 am

Hello Adrian,

firstly welcome to the RSR, great to have you on board, secondly well done to take on the restoration of your 12. Speaking from expereince, having separated a P2 from its chassis it is relatively straight forward. The obvious points are the body mountings on the tub and as you say you have removed the seat mountings and have removed everthing forward from the firewall, inc. the rear wings ( and hence the petrol filler) and also all the floors then it is only the body mountings that are left. In my expereince the body lifts up easily.

Good luck with your project, please post some pictures as it is always intersting to see what other people are up to.

Paul

Paul Williams
1929 2litre Saloon
1934 P1 10HP
1951 Rover Cyclops
1974 P6 3500
1998 LR Discovery I

AdrianGoodyear

Post by AdrianGoodyear » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:06 pm

Hi Paul
Thanks for your response and words of encouragement.
Yes, it does look to be fairly straight forward once all the bits and bobs are taken off. But it does seem to be fairly solid.
You said that you had separated the body from the chassis. Do you remember how many bolts there were holding the actual tub to the chassis? I have removed one bolt from near the rear spring shackle mounting (access via the hole in the boot floor, two just to one side of the front, rear spring mounting point, two just forward of the large chassis cross member and a single bolt just forward of the bulkhead. I also removed two bolt that were securing the transmission tunnel that also secured the base of the the rear seat.
I have tried to see if there is any movement and the only place where it does seem to move when lifted is at the front when I apply a pry-bar to the bracket in front of the bulkhead.
From your recollection, do you think I've missed something?

HAD501

Post by HAD501 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:49 am

Hi Adrian

I replaced the body of my 1947 12 (6 light) with a better one from different vehicles. It was quite a while ago, but from memory there are (on each side) - 1 bolt at the front of the sill, 3 bolts at each outrigger and 1 bolt at the rear (accessed via the boot floor).

Best of luck, DaveM

AdrianGoodyear

Post by AdrianGoodyear » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:38 pm

Hi Dave

THREE bolts at each out rigger! I'll take another look! Thanks for your response. AG

HAD501

Post by HAD501 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:10 pm

Yes, I’m pretty sure there’s a vertical bolt at the top in the flange that supports the floor boards. My car’s not garaged at home at the moment, otherwise I just nip out and check!

AdrianGoodyear

Post by AdrianGoodyear » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:18 pm

Hi Dave
Thanks again for your response.
There was indeed three bolts on each out rigger - these have been removed and there is now some movement when I try to lift the body. I say try, as it I'm not sure how much movement to expect. I'm hoping to get some muscle in to help with removing the body. Perhaps with four people it'll lift off.
Expect further updates! AG

AdrianGoodyear

Post by AdrianGoodyear » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:55 pm

OK so here's the update.
All bolts removed and still little or no movement. I jacked up the body via the door frames (one side at a time)so the chassis was hanging from the body and then a few smart wallops with a hammer and off it came. Repeat on the other side. Only moved by about half an inch but at least it was moving. All I need is about four strong young men! But... onwards and upwards.
Thanks to all for help and encouragement.
Adrian

HAD501

Post by HAD501 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:08 am

Keep at it, Adrian! I did my body/chassis swop single-handed - but it did take quite a few jacks, axle-stands, bits of wood, a certain amount of swearing and the odd mishap!
DaveM
Aug2002-07.jpg
Aug2002-07.jpg (67.5 KiB) Viewed 13456 times
June2002-01.jpg
June2002-01.jpg (72.5 KiB) Viewed 13456 times

Acromie86

Post by Acromie86 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:00 pm

Awesome job glad to see you get the frame off.i look forward to being at that stage.