New Member - 1947 P2

Please announce yourselves here when you join
MikeW

New Member - 1947 P2

Post by MikeW » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:30 pm

Would like to say hello.
Have just purchased a 1947 P2 Rover 12 which is being delivered on Wednesday.
It’s an original car complete and running but the interior again complete but in need of some work. The external finish and general appeared is acceptable for the time being.
Being retired I hope to make this a leisurely project with the object being to bring the car up to MOT standard and drivable with the interior being phase two. I don’t really want to do a body off restoration and I hope my initial survey was correct and the car seems to be in remarkable condition considering it’s seventy plus years.
Feeling a little apprehensive right now although I have been maintaining my own cars for years from the earliest day when I bought my first motorcycle.
I’m sure in reality there will be a shed load of issues along the way but I have that vision of attending my first show to drive me on.
We are but the keeper and with my effort I hope to help this old lady survive a good few years yet.
Mike W.

TonyG

Re: New Member - 1947 P2

Post by TonyG » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:51 am

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the RSR. Only one day to go and you can begin the joy of owning a Rover! Always good to hear that someone new is getting involved with the preservation of these lovely old cars. You will find a good deal of support from other members and, probably, a lot of your future queries already answered if you search through the past threads on this site.

Good luck with your new purchase and we look forward to seeing some pictures of it. All cars are of great interest, not just the perfectly restored ones so don’t hold back on keeping us updated.

Tony.
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport

blackhallr

Post by blackhallr » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:28 pm

hi mike,snap i have just bought the identical year and condition a few weeks ago

MikeW

Post by MikeW » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:08 pm

Good luck with your new car.
I have been able to have a closer look over my car and so far no real horrors. Seem to have started at the back end as access is better in my garage.
Have replaced the timber wheel cover in the boot lid, made a new battery box. The fuel tank is next for removal and refurbishment followed by the rear brakes and axle oil leak at the wheel bearing.
So plenty to be getting on with. !

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:17 pm

Mike,

If you have a leaking axle oil seal the brake shoes may be contaminated. I had mine reclined by Saftek at Cleckheaton, who dispatched them back almost by return. That was some years ago of course! Worth telling them that the shoes are for a car with rod operated brakes so they use the most appropriate lining material.

Should your tank needs sealing or a lining coat applied to prevent any loose rust becoming a problem, Rust Busters stock some appropriate products. Certainly worth a look and may avoid buying a new tank.

Good luck,

Tony.
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport

MikeW

Post by MikeW » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:49 am

Thanks Tony
I have checked the axle breather which was blocked. Being optimistic maybe that had a bearing on the oil leak. Going to get started on the fuel tank which looks pretty good but will know when I get it off.
Michael.