Len Cottam

Please announce yourselves here when you join
digcot65

Re: Len Cottam

Post by digcot65 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:05 pm

Thanks for all the information whata forum is all about.I am worried about the car in Cornwall,the paint is obviously quite fresh and once off it could be a rust bucket .Been there done it.I bought a P5B some years ago and when I started to strip it down I found the "A Posts "were Dexion angle held on by large self tappers .The worst bodge I ever met.Len

Neal P2

Post by Neal P2 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:35 pm

I did the same when buying a P4 (105). It was full of filler that was hiding holes bunged up with newspaper - the stupid thing was the newspaper was a local from the area the chap lived who I bought it from so I new it must have been him that did it! - still, we live and learn as they say!
It's a unfortunate about the Cornwall car as it looks nice otherwise - it's a shame you are not closer to see it in the flesh as it were.
Anyway good luck
Neal

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:54 pm

Iv`e given up on the Cornwall car it`s too far to view and there is no point taking a chance Also I have to sell a Motorcycle iv`e done a nut and bolt restoration on and a Mercedes I want to sell

Neal P2

Post by Neal P2 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:12 pm

Hopefully when this covidvirus situation eases there will be more for you to check out and will be able to sell yours also - I'm sure the market is almost halted at present. I've been wishing I still had something to work on while this is going on. I'm fed up just polishing my everyday car!

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:02 pm

Looking this morning at the Rover for sale in Cornwall ,I copied the picture and pasted it onto Microsoft word ,where I could enlarge it .Hey presto the crack on the roof which was bad enough to show the white undercoat,has been touched up with black paint.If you hadn`t seen it before touching up,you wouldn`t know it was there.Long way to travel when allowed to if you don`t know these things

Neal P2

Post by Neal P2 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:20 pm

Ah, best left alone as you first thought. Long way to travel as you say only to be disappointed. I think the one you showed me on ebay is probably a more honest car but it really depends which versions you prefer - I always liked the pre-war cars with the headlamps mounted on the crossbars rather than the wings but I guess at the end of the day it's finding one that's a sound basis for restoration / running restoration. - good luck

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:27 pm

I have one I`m interested in car at a car sales place at Garstang .However the usual problem with the present crisis ,I have my motorcycle for sale ,just done a nut and bolt restoration and my classic Mercedes immaculate .Both for sale at less than they cost me and one has to go ,before I can do anything .But no one can view .Len