New member Christina Bodén

Please announce yourselves here when you join
Christina

Re: New member Christina Bodén

Post by Christina » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:41 am

Thanks. I also think she's magnificant, and I will get her on the road again. But not next summer. Befor I saw her, just imagine what she be like after 20 years in a container, I said it's gonna take ten years and cost 200 000 swedish kronor to repair her. But now I think it will go a little bit faster than that, but I guess it will cost as much.
But I think she's worth every penny.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:33 pm

A really wonderful car Chistina. What are you planning to do to it? If it was mine I'd try to sort out the mechanical bits first to make her roadwothy and reliable and worry about looks later. Your Rover looks like it has lots, if not almost all, original fittings. If that is so, that's a very rare situation indeed. It might be worthwile to leave the car as original as possible to retain its patina. You might be able to save on costs that way, plus there's a recent development in the classic car market which makes genuinely original cars the most valuable. As a Swedish colleague of mine put it when I bought my 90 off him: "it's only original once".
Klaus
1954 Rover 90 (LHD)

Christina

Post by Christina » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:00 pm

Yes Klaus, some has said to me to keep it the way it is. Not repaint it, because I can´t never make it undone, just drive her. But our plan is to bring her back to her former glory. There isn´t a part on the body that hasn´t dents. And we don´t know what we´ll find when we start taking her apart. Maybe there isn´t any of the frame left, just worms and dust. And after such a long time just standing still, more than 40 years, both the mechanical parts and electricals has to get a really good examination. And while we´re at it, we might as well go "all in". As a friend of mine, who owns eight or nine Jaguars said. "It doesn´t cost anymore to do a proper restoration, than to do a bad one."
But we will keep everything just the way it is, and try to save everything that can be saved.
It does have almost all original fittings, what I can see it misses a window cranc, and the rims doesn´t look alike at the front and the rear, so we gonna look for the original rims. And the window in the doors has to be replaced. Otherwise it´s "only" the mechanical part that has to be looked over, and a lot, a lot of bodywork.