Logging in

lakesrally

Re: Logging in

Post by lakesrally » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:23 pm

I had exactly the same problem as Paul G and have solved it the same way, delete the cookie for RSR forum.

Paul W - ignore the email I sent you, it is now ok.

Regards

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:23 pm

Still working here :D

richard moss

Post by richard moss » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:33 pm

"view new posts" is now showing me every post as "new".
1990 827 Sterling manual
1990 Jaguar Sovereign 4 Litre on LPG
1969 MGC GT (currently hibernating)

Paul Gregory

Post by Paul Gregory » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:48 pm

I had that at one point yesterday, just around the time it decided to log me in but then not recognise that I was logged in. Very strange.
RSR Post 1950 Librarian

Do you have anything which could be added to the RSR Library for the benefit of all members? Please let me know if you have.

Paul Gregory

Post by Paul Gregory » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:31 pm

I've just come back to the machine after leaving it for a while and then hit the view new posts link. This has then listed basically all the posts as new, but on looking further it appears that it has automatically logged me out, so inevitably it doesn't have a view of what posts I have previously read. I guess this must be all down to the recent software update. Certainly seems to have introduced a few new features...
RSR Post 1950 Librarian

Do you have anything which could be added to the RSR Library for the benefit of all members? Please let me know if you have.

richard moss

Post by richard moss » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:14 pm

richard moss wrote:"view new posts" is now showing me every post as "new".
Belay that - I'm an eejit! I hadn't picked up on the recent appearance of the "view unread posts" button in the space previously occupied by the "view new posts" button (and therefore was clicking the wrong button!).
1990 827 Sterling manual
1990 Jaguar Sovereign 4 Litre on LPG
1969 MGC GT (currently hibernating)

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:16 pm

I've had a message from Richard Clements saying he can't get onto the forum

He explains it as:-
I log in but when I try to post it asks me to log in, in a loop if that makes sense
Can Admin help with this one please

Forum Admin
Site Admin

Post by Forum Admin » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:43 am

To Richard and anyone else having login problems.

First, apologies for any inconvienience, the history of the problem is that when we changed servers the url for the forum changed from rover-forum.thersr.co.uk to rover-forum.thersr.org to make sure everyone could still find it, a url redirect was setup which points all the '.co.uk requests to the '.org url. Some of you will have noticed this url at the top of the browser.

To make the 'remember me' option work the forum stores a cookie on your computer. This cookie would have come from the .co.uk domain before the change and from the .org domain after.

The cookie name should be 'phpbb3_nfym4' with the .org address. To make this work existing cookies have to deleted and a new one obtained from the site. Depending on which browser you are using the method of deleting a cookie is different, also it is possible to have more than one cookie for the site.

I have tried to reproduce the problem Richard has without success, Richard, can you contact me off list to the email address as shown inside Freewheel.

The checklist if you are having trouble is :

1. Delete the cookie<s> for this forum, or delete all cookies from your browser if you wish.
2. Use the forum in guest mode
3.Login to the forum, then logout straightaway
4.Attempt to create a post, if this doesnt work try to use another browser, on windows 'Chrome' from google is quick to download and easy to use.
5.If all that fails we may need to reset your password as this creates a new set of cookies.

Please let me know if you are having problems

Paul
Forum administrator

Forum Admin
Site Admin

Post by Forum Admin » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:21 am

to continue........

having looked at the phpbb support forum apparently this is a known issue with some installation of internet explorer, below is a copy of what may be a solution.

------BEGIN TEMPLATE FIX COOKIES-----
Temporary solutions/work around :
Download/use FireFox.

If you still want to use Internet Explorer, try this:

With the browser open:
- Up at the top, choose Tools
- Click "Internet Options"
- Click on "Privacy"
- Lower the "Internet Setting Zone" tab to Lowest option (accept all cookies)
- Press Apply then OK
- Close/Reopen browser, log in and choose stay logged in as the option.

Also, you may want to set "www.YOURWEBSITEHERE" and "YOURDOMAINNAME" as a trusted zone in your I.E. settings.
------END TEMPLATE FIX COOKIES-----

ps YOURWEBSITEHERE is rover-forum.thersr.org
Forum administrator

Richard Clements

Post by Richard Clements » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:14 pm

I can now post :D John forwarded on the message above(Thanks John), I realised I was using a favourite from before the swap over, so I deleted that, went to the main website and came in from the link from there, hey presto it's all now working as it should.
1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic