Bijur bits David Moseley's advert in Freewheel

David2021

Bijur bits David Moseley's advert in Freewheel

Post by David2021 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:21 am

I am trying to contact David Moseley who has an advert in Freewheel since at least February2021. His phone no is unobtainable, I have had no reply to an email (which went through). he is not listed in my 2021 RSR membership booklet. He claimed to be able to supply the jump hoses I need!
Has anyone news of him?
David Harrison

GOY189

Re: Bijur bits David Moseley's advert in Freewheel

Post by GOY189 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:38 pm

Sadly I have just discovered that David died in July 2021. We will remove the advert.

Mike Maher
Chairman

luli

Post by luli » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:22 pm

I am sorry to hear that. When I restored 26-453 ten years ago I got hoses and meter valves from him. He also helped me to restore the instruments panel.
These hoses can be remade by most hydraulic shops. Just bring them the old ones.
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:41 am

I’d like to echo Luli’s sentiments. It’s very sad that David is no longer with us. When I was restoring my Tourer six years ago, I learned through the club that his car, COA 550, resided about 25 miles from me and he kindly invited me to look and take as many pictures as I wanted to help me rebuild my car from the boxes of bits I had inherited from my Father. David was very knowledgable of the model, having rebuilt his car over a number of years from a far less complete pile of bits than I was starting with! The result, as many of us will know, is a truly excellent example of the model, kept original in most respects. Being able to spend time with him and his car was not only invaluable to me but also very encouraging as I puzzled through the frustrations of assembling my car from a heap of rusted parts! The best bit about it, of course, was that his car was my Dad’s first car back in the early 50s and this established the affection for this model within my family that led to my Uncle buying TL 6200 six years later in 1958 and why my Dad subsequently took ownership of our car. David was very interested in the history I was able to recall for him, including the occasion that my Dad and Uncle had COA going flat out on the A1 so that the needle was past the 80 mark! Sadly, but not surprisingly, it threw a big end bearing and they had to limp home. Which goes to prove that young men have always been daft with their cars. The most impressive thing for me was that David used his car as daily transport and, having taken it on many UK and foreign touring holidays, was completely relaxed about driving it to RSR events no matter where they were. This, together with the fact that his car was the same as those owned by our club’s founding members, meant that he exemplified the spirit of the RSR and an is inspiration to us all.

Tony.
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport

David2021

Post by David2021 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:37 am

Sorry to hear that news about David Moseley. We all miss the knowledge and expertise of people like him, and he sounded like a real character!
I am still investigating Bijur bits!
Lubutec in Leeds (011324698333) were helpful...they have two or three enquiries a year apparently. The flow meter valves they supply do not list 1/8 BSP Male ends, but they put me on to another possible supplier SHOWA. They make what appear to be In LINE "Flow Proper" valves that are only 25mm long and these could be used in the line and not right against the part (which may be tight for space. They are Male/Male so could easily be fitted into 4mm tube. Al the flow rate specifications are available. I am still looking for 90 degree elbows that have a 3/8 BSF male thread (for e.g. Track rod ends), but may have to re-cut the thread on a 1/8 BSP elbows.....Unless anyone has spare original valves...?
The Bijur & SHOWA lubricators are very widely used on machine tools etc. Often they take multiple pipes from a "manifold" and fit suitable flow regulators on the manifold or in the lines The down-side of the modern units is that they are bigger than the ones fitted to our cars, which are very compact. Progress I suppose! Maybe ours were not so robust.
I will keep you all posted as to progress

luli

Post by luli » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:14 pm

Have a look here:
https://fiennesparts.co.uk/shop/chassis ... tem?page=4
They have 3/8 meter valves. The Bijure company is still active in the USA but supplies NPT thread.
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD

David2021

Post by David2021 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:17 am

Thanks Luli.... Fiennes I had not thought about....Mind you their prices are eye watering! 5/32" pipe olives at £1.10 EACH!...at least5 times the regular price! Their meter valves are over £50 each compared to the (OK larger & not "original") Showa @ £5-7 each. That's what you can charge if you are high end Rolls and Bentley "purveyors"...!
Bijur parts in the US are certainly available, but shipping /duty costs are hopelessly expensive...Americans in my experience generally don't understand "export" shipping! I bought a Bijur flexy pipe for about $7.50 and got charged over $15 post and another £ 9.60 for "import costs" all paid up front. (import duty should have been pennies!)
I think I will keep looking for a bit longer!

David2021

Post by David2021 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:20 pm

The Bijur saga continues! I removed / dismantled three valves today (all of which were not obviously working. Two had what looked like some sort of fibre residue that when poked out revealed a tiny gauze filter (like in a carburettor inlet, but only about 3mm diameter). The third seemed to have solid grease and some fibrous matter before the gauze, which was damaged...
The sectioned drawing of the inlet chamber of a meter valve shows it filled with a "filter" . This seems to be held in by a pressed in tube- I have not attempted to remove this and don't intend to try!!
I don't think the fibrous matter is the remains of a clogged filter. What have others found ? I intend to clean out all the meter valves using a solvent & a very thin spike/hook, followed by an ultrasonic bath (jewellery!) cleaner to (I Hope) clear anything from the tiny outlet holes.
How about blowing through the system...one pipe at a time will not be easy and will take for ever, but seems to be the only way.
I still cannot find ay sign of a meter valve fitting on the front Brake compensator!

luli

Post by luli » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:45 pm

You can see here how I tested the pump and meter valves (both old and new):
https://lulis.org/2020/12/03/%d7%9e%d7% ... %95%d7%a7/
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD

David2021

Post by David2021 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:58 am

Thank you again Luli. I am in awe of your skill and ingenuity!
I will modify my pump oilcan as you did to test valves, very neat. My central pump works pretty well and oil is clearly getting through to some areas!
I will take off all the valves and give them a thorough clean, two of the three I have so far done did have felt(?) in them as well as a bit of gauze. I agree with you....why!!?
My Hebrew translation "p*n*s"! (King Pins!) are not worn and may be original, so I will not be dismantling them...what is the purpose of the open tapped holes on the front face of the axle where the pin passes through? they appear to expose the king pin to the elements? Does anyone know?