Tracing the history of my P2

MikeB

Tracing the history of my P2

Post by MikeB » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:22 am

Hi all

I want to trace the history of my P2 from 1st registered owner if I can, I see that a few members have done this and would like to know the process, if there is one, IE where to start with the enquires , I thought British motor heritage may have some data but I am not sure how to go about getting it, can the RSR shine any info on this ?

I know the car was first registered in Beverly Yorkshire as BBT666, However I would like to know the history from there, any leads or advise would be appreciated

Regards

Mike

andrewmcg

Re: Tracing the history of my P2

Post by andrewmcg » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:13 pm

Hello there Mike

From the RSR archive database which I maintain for the RSR I can give you a small window of the cars history

It first came into the RSR in 1979 with a Douglas Hockley in York who had owned it since 1967 it was then Black with a brown interior and off the road under restoration.
It then re-appeared in the early 80's under the ownership of Tony Simons who also lived in York who described it as an everyday runner.
The next def info we have on the car was when it came up for sale in 2013 with a dealer in York who was asking £6,995 claiming it had been used as a wedding car??
Then we have it down under your ownership in 2014.

As it is a 1939 car and all of the Rover Company records were destroyed when the factory was bombed during the war I am not sure whether British Motor Heritage would have any records
but as the car seems to have resided in York for most of its early life it might be worth trying the Beverley Record Offices to see what records they may hold, their address circa 1998 was East Riding of Yorkshire, County Hall, Beverley HU17 9BA and the tel no I have is 01481 887700.
There is usually a nominal charge for these searches and some Record offices are more helpful than others.

Good luck
Andrew McGovern
Pre 1950 RSR Archivist

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:53 pm

I knew the car when Doug had it, Tony took the car on after Doug died. I'm still in touch with Tony, I could ask him if he has any more info, I'm not sure if he is on the forum.

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:43 pm

Hi Mike, I've sent you a PM with Tony's contact details.

chris dancey

Post by chris dancey » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi Mike,

Like you I am an avid researcher of the history of my classics. I have been very successful with the history of ' Snowdrop ', in fact through my persistance I have located the granddaughter and grandson of the first purchaser, this has enabled me to meet them both for in-depth discussions. I have photographs of Ernest Mullens the first owner, his daughter the second owner and then his son owner no. 3, I have also been given two photos of the car from around 1960 still sporting its blue coat. This has enabled me to fill in loads of gaps and follow the ownership through the family.

How did I find them ? Well it was a note on this forum that prompted the initial contact, Graham Hayman, the grandson was wondering whether RD 6160 Rover 10 1934 was indeed still alive, still white, and still in the UK !
We had a dialogue going for about a year, when he went silent and left the forum, I continued to advertise the fact that I was keen to continue, both on this forum and a message in ' Freewheel ' , this had the desired effect and we are back in communicardo ! I have since also met up with the granddaughter Clare, both have filled vast gaps in the heritage of ' Snowdrop ', why she was painted white in 1936, why she was repainted blue by hand ( over the white ) in 1940, then repainted white in around 1977 on its first restoration.

I now know that Ernest Mullens was in the Home Guard, also that he was a P.O. telephone engineer, Snowdrop would have had a war service tax disc and Clare can remember the car weaving in and out of the army trucks in convoy during WW2.

Keep searching..... I suffer with ' irrepressible enthusiasm ' it has helped me keep trying ! :D

Try an article in Freewheel for starters..who knows who may have some information.

Best of Luck,

Chris
1934 ( 1935 model ) P1 '10' Saloon RD 6160
1935 P1 '10' Saloon ( originally JB 6729 ) now VSJ 156
1946 P2 '14' Sports Saloon KPG 855
1933 MG J2 Cycle Wing Model APB 560
1933 MG J2 Competition Model ALX 124

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:09 pm

Well, thanks all for replying to my request, very helpful, I did indeed by it from a garage in York, where I spend most weekends in the caravan - ok all of them in the summer! I had been looking for a vintage car for months but all what I wanted to look at were down south, whilst in the van one weekend looking on E -bay for a vehicle I spotted two that were the right price but were a long way off, my wife said why don't you look for something nearer ? I said it not about being near it's what you like and the right price ( I'm originally from Yorkshire so I don't buy unless it's a good deal !) Liz took the computer off me and after 10 mins she said what about this one ? its in York also, the rest is history, women !

I found a note book in the car with Doug's address in it and a written history of oil changes and repairs etc. with dates and mileage, it states on the road 1st May 1985 so I guess this must be Tony Simmons according to the dates stated when they owned the car, anyway I thought I would carry on the note book with my experiences of the car and what I have done to it going forward, I've filled in a lot of pages already !
I have had the car re trimmed and I am currently painting the engine bay and touching up elsewhere, re chroming 75% of the car and am looking forward to putting it back on the road come the season, it will stay old English white as I have become found of the colour, ( might make a few bob as a wedding car also )

Thanks for all the help

Mike

Rubythursday

Post by Rubythursday » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:17 pm

Hi
Yes I owned the car after Doug, and I sold it to Osbaldwick motors who did some body repairs and painted it white and used it for weddings.
The car was bought as a wreck where it had stood in a garden centre near York. Doug and I did a lot of work on the car, it had no seats or upholstery when he got it. The engine was rebored and crank ground and bearings done by Harry Johnson of Dunnington. I used it as my wedding car. We had a lot of difficulty in keeping the original registration number as it had slipped through the computerisation programme and the inspector couldn't find a chassis number. Eventually we succeed through Beverley office as York closed in the middle of the discussions! Beverley has now gone as well.

The car attended quite a few RSR events over the years.

We have no history for the car prior to it being found in the garden centre. I think I still have quite a bit of the paperwork regarding the retention of the number.
Tony
1948 Rover 75, 1987 Range Rover Auto, 1987 Volvo 240 Auto 1999 Rover 75 Connoisseur Auto
http://www.tonysimons.me.uk

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:40 am

Tony
Thanks for replying with the information, looks like BBT 666 is somewhat of a survivor, I am glad you managed to save the reg number as it is quite distinctive and causes a few comments about the beast etc. I guess tracing the car back further may be difficult unless you have some paper work on the reg that relates to another owner?

I did buy the car from Osbaldswick motors, the owner was attached to the car however he became tired of moving out of the garage and back in again every morning and night so decided to sell it, the upholstery has now been trimmed in red leather with black carpet with a new roof lining, I was under the impression it was the original upholstery, when the door cards were taken out and stood on the floor in the trimming shop they were dripping wet through!

The engine has always been a good nick and apart from a tune up seems fine, it is currently out of the car and I was wondering about overhauling it but with the low mileage and your comments about reground crank and re bore I shall just replace all the gaskets etc.
Tony if you don't mind I may have a few questions in the near future and would like to email you

I have been up to York with the car in the summer and intend to take it again in the spring when I have finished the winter work on her

Thanks

Mike

Rubythursday

Post by Rubythursday » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:03 pm

I had a near miss in it once, the seat collapsed due to woodworm! It suffered with fuel vaporisation badly, hence the rerouted fuel line and electric pump. We cured it temporarily by removing the bonnet sides and fastened the top down with a bungy! We had good fun in it. The only reason I sold it along with my Rover 16 is that with a bad back, they were hard work. I need power steering - thats why I fitted PAS to my Rover 2000.
Tony
1948 Rover 75, 1987 Range Rover Auto, 1987 Volvo 240 Auto 1999 Rover 75 Connoisseur Auto
http://www.tonysimons.me.uk

jefflee

Post by jefflee » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:07 pm

Hi Tony ,
I've just been looking at the pictures of the work you did on your 16hp years ago, (Rover P2 Restoration) on web.
I've just done my sun roof and headlining in my 16hp and now appreciate the work involved.
cheers Jeff. Lee.
1937-20 SS _ 1938-20 SS _ 1946-16 SS _ 1947-16 saloon