Tracing the history of my P2

MikeB

Re: Tracing the history of my P2

Post by MikeB » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:07 am

Tony

I had the same problem with fuel vaporisation and also a ignition timing that was too far advanced, when I ran it for a month or so before I sorted it out, I would arrive at my destination and park up turn the engine off and after 3-4 seconds send a loud backfire from the exhaust into the air frightening whoever was close to the car ! when parking up next to people outside eating and drinking I resorted to warning them it might back fire , a little embarrassing but good fun !

I found the ignition was too far advanced which cured it, as for the fuel vaporisation I rerouted the fuel pipe around the engine bay instead of it going over the engine to the carb, now the wife is not embarrassed any more when parking up, I personally thought it was fun and told everybody isn't that what old cars are supposed to do?

Mike

apkok

Post by apkok » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:56 pm

Picking up on tracing a Rover's history, what is the procedure within the RSR to find out what record it might have? I know most of the history of my P2 16 (Petunia) from 1962 onwards, but not prior to that point. Petunia carries the registration DBX902, a Carmarthenshire number, and was manufactured in 1947. She belonged to the Reverend J J Jenkyns for many years, and he passed her in 1972 on to his son, Reverend T.J.B. Jenkyns who was a chaplain in the RAF. I believe J.J. Jenkyns was a member of the RSR in the '50s, I have a few copies of Freewheel from that period, that came with the car. I don't know whether J.J. had DBX902 at that time, or another Rover. If anyone can throw any light on Petunia's first 15 years, I would be very grateful. Or if someone can point me in the right direction, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks very much, Alan Kingston

chris dancey

Post by chris dancey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:20 am

In addition to my research on the history of my classics, I also keep in depth diaries of the day to day items that may seem insignificant at the time, but will probably be quite interesting to read in the future. Not only the odd petrol receipt, train ticket and airline boarding pass, but other personal items of interest including current affairs which puts my entries into a timeline, I recently looked back at entries in one of Snowdrops diaries out of interest about the Falklands conflict.

With my Snowdrop I have two diaries that were written in the 1950s by Grahams father, not only is every gallon of petrol purchased listed but even personal events, holidays, breakdowns and loads of punctures mentioned. These, and my diaries will be passed on at the appropriate time to the owner of the car in the hope that they will remain with the car for prosperity. These have been a major topic when speaking with the Hayman family.

I could not figure out why Snowdrop was repainted white in the mid 1930s, in fact it was more of a cream from the information from Graham, it turned out that his grandfather ( the first owner ) always wanted a white Rolls Royce, but could never afford one, so he did the next best thing and purchased a ' Rolls Royce of the Light Cars ' and had her repainted in 1936.

During the war, the car was licenced under schedule G and given a petrol allowance, Ernest Mullens, a post office telephone engineer, used to ' save ' some of this allocation of fuel and use to run the car to see his family in West Bridgford, from his home near Reading. The car being white would have been an obvious target, not only for the enemy, but for the authorities, so Ernest set about repainting back ( by hand using brushing belco...its in the diary ) to her original blue colour so to be less obvious.

So , keep a diary, put in photos and odd day to day items...will be very interesting in years to come.

Chris
1934 ( 1935 model ) P1 '10' Saloon RD 6160
1935 P1 '10' Saloon ( originally JB 6729 ) now VSJ 156
1946 P2 '14' Sports Saloon KPG 855
1933 MG J2 Cycle Wing Model APB 560
1933 MG J2 Competition Model ALX 124

andrewmcg

Post by andrewmcg » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:34 pm

Hello there Alan

As the RSR pre 1950 archivist I maintain the database with details of all the pre 1950 cars that have been in the RSR since 1953 plus non members cars that we have gathered info on from time to time, and it is from this database we are often able to supply previous ownership/history of members cars, and this service is free to any members who care to ask for info on their intended or recent purchase.

In the case of your car DBX 902 it only came into the RSR under the ownership of the Rev. T J B Jenkyns in 1968 so we are unable to help with any history prior to that date. His father was not a member whilst he owned the car for the period 1958/63, and as far as I can see was not a member at any time whilst owning any other Rover.

The registration DBX was issued by the Carmarthenshire licensing office from April to August 1947, it might be worth trying them if they are still up and running for it's early history.

Regards
Andrew McGovern

apkok

Post by apkok » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:10 pm

Thanks for your input Andrew and Chris. Regarding the Revd. J.J. Jenkyns relationship with the RSR, I've got a letter to him from a Club official, at some point in the '50s, asking him to advise a prospective purchaser of a P2 in his area. When I get time, I'll find the letter and see what it says, and get back to you.

Thanks, Alan

scruff123

BBT 666

Post by scruff123 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:11 am

Dear Mike,I can give you some early history information on Rover BBT 666 if you would like to contact me on e-mail cruckleyfarm@btconnect.com J.J.