Website

voituer

Website

Post by voituer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:34 pm

I must say this website is possibly one of the worst I have ever been to. It is not easy to use or navigate and may I suggest it gets reworked - I would happily pay extra subs but its just so bad..............

I can't think of anything positive but one of the worst areas for me is the classifieds - how are you supposed to find anything?

There is no adequate search facility, the adverts seem to order themselves by random and there is no search criteria, if it was just latest adverts first that would be a help.

Apologies if my rant seems so cutting but I have been frustrated from day one using this site and I may be alone in this but I suspect not!

Dirkco

Re: Website

Post by Dirkco » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:11 am

While I cannot speak for everyone,

It is comments like yours that are of absolutely no value what so ever!

This forum and the club website and many like it are the tireless efforts of enthusiasts who volunteer their time and do the best job they know how to provide a service to anyone and everyone who is interested. I for one find it to be quite a good and when I do have had suggestions I make them in a respectful manner, in private and try to have useful comments without insults.

Now ask yourself would your mother have approved of comments like this? and especially around the holidays?

Happy New Year To All!
Respectfully
Dirk in the States

kartik

Post by kartik » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:04 am

There is no doubt in my mind that without the website and this forum, I wouldn't know how to go about
Restoring my p3, It would be a lost cause.

Happy new year everyone,
Cheers
Kartik

paul williams

Post by paul williams » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:42 am

I must admit I find the original post hard to understand.

If voituer is referring to this forum which is sponsored and supported by the RSR then there is no classifieds section.

If however he is referring to the main RSR web site then there is a fully customisable search engine for the online adverts at

http://www.thersr.co.uk/new-adds/classi ... search-ads

here you can search through over 700 adverts placed free of charge (including up to 5 pictures) and fully editable and updatable by the advertiser who does not need to be an RSR member. The latest ads appear in order on the side bar of every page. This is another example of the RSR supporting the Rover community.
It is puzzling that voiteur should use this forum to comment on the RSR web site which supports online comments and a fully featured contact form specifically designed to collect comments and information.
As a matter of interest there have been no concerns raised by any of the advertisers using this free system and the site generally gets about 1000 hits per day.

As for the navigation of this site it uses a widely adopted forum package used by thousands of online forums across the world, it claims to be one of the most popular formats. Any useful comments should be directed to the authors, see http://www.phpbb.com.
The RSR maintain and host this forum and through the actions of volunteer moderators keep the content relevant to the aims of the RSR.

Maybe I missed the point :?:

Paul Williams
1929 2litre Saloon
1934 P1 10HP
1951 Rover Cyclops
1974 P6 3500
1998 LR Discovery I

Tangoman

Post by Tangoman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:21 am

I've been looking at the ads on the website. Are they all current? Some of them were posted in 2011.

chris dancey

Post by chris dancey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:10 am

I am a member of four different classic car forums ( one other Rover and two other marques ) and I would like to add my two penny worth to this debate.

1 ) This forum, I enjoy all contributions, I would like to see more ' day to day ' chatter and for me its not as easy to add photographs as my other forums. There is less ' technical ' chat than I would like, but I find this also ( for me ) the case with ' Freewheel ' maybe its that Rover owners are a little more ' laid back '. There are a lot of restorations going on out there, I get many emails from other Rover owners who ask various questions on a variety of subjects which I am glad to impart, it would be nice to see these queries in the open forum as many other owners I am sure would benefit. I am appreciative of the time and effort of the team who run the forum, as a moderator myself I know how much is involved. A huge thanks from me !

2 ) RoverAustralia ( Yahoo Groups ) . This little forum has only 40 or so members, headed by Dennis Gallacher and a great little bunch. Most chat is about Rovers down under, but relative to our cars also, Mike Evans is a valued contributor, the adding of photos ( mainly mine ) is very easy with an attached library. They are looking for more contributors...why not join and add your comments and photographs. They are a great bunch down there and Dennis ( we met at the workshop only last week on his recent visit here ) is a really nice chap..

3) Jaguar Owners, This is a very busy forum, everything is very user friendly even for techophobes, lots of technical chit-chat and photos.

4 ) MMM Forum, This is for pre-war MG cars, Very busy, lots of activity on a daily basis, mainly technical and very easy to include photographs ( like email attachments ) . Each query nearly always attracts a minimum of ten or more respondents, there is a lot of constructive ( although not always ) debate and I am happy to use this forum as I know that I will get oodles of responses. When I joined, I had 32 welcome messages....and my car ( an MG J2 1933 ) is dismantled in Cyprus, a great find this year, every day there are headings of the various issues in my inbox, usually four or five new subjects each day. One can choose to open or delete, its up to you, I read them all as much is relevent to other issues.

So there we have it from my perspective, many owners I am sure read this forum and have items that could be included, the organisers work hard to maintain these sites and need your support....come on lets see some more ! Very Happy, Chris
1934 ( 1935 model ) P1 '10' Saloon RD 6160
1935 P1 '10' Saloon ( originally JB 6729 ) now VSJ 156
1946 P2 '14' Sports Saloon KPG 855
1933 MG J2 Cycle Wing Model APB 560
1933 MG J2 Competition Model ALX 124

kartik

Post by kartik » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:24 am

I myself am members of 4 forums two of them are Prewar minor network and vintage minor register,
another one is team bhp in India, and that the most difficult part with RSR is that
I cannot post pictures directly , this is something which I can do elsewhere and makes life very easy.

Hope some steps can be taken to help with uploading pictures.

regards
Kartik

PS ; I can see that many recognised members can directly post pictures.

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:13 am

kartik wrote:PS ; I can see that many recognised members can directly post pictures.
Not sure that they can kartik. The way I post pictures is to use photobucket or occasionally flickr

I would suspect one of the reasons that we can't post directly to the forum is to keep the banswidth down on the server therefore keeping the forum moving without too many outage problems.

Hopefully admin will see this page and answer in more detail

Forum Admin
Site Admin

Post by Forum Admin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:45 pm

Hello,

perhaps some history may help. When the forum was established in 2008 it was in response to requests from members who thought that the oldrovers yahoo group that we had been using since 2000 was outdated and decreasing in popularity. The forum was initially hosted on a commercial server and we shared the space with the owner who as a favour allowed us to use it for the RSR website as well. The only restriction was on space and so the forum was setup to use external hosting for pictures such as photobucket or flickr. This is quite common for forums and these picture sites give you an easy way to post a link into your post to display a picture or a link to a complete library.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=33

The shared hosting site was lost in 2009 and the forum and website were transferred to a commercial hosting company, which was probably just as well as the hit rate of these sites has increased ever since, the cost of hosting is met by the RSR. It seemed logical at the time to just transfer all the data across and I suspect many users did not spot the changes, although there was quite a lot of work done behind the scenes.

If it is the feeling of the users that the existing system is disadvantageous then it is possible to consider the option of direct photo insertion.

As a matter of fact all pictures are hosted on external sites, there is no preferential system.

I look forward to your comments

Forum Admin.

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:32 pm

I don't have a problem with the way we post pictures, it was a little daunting until I had done it once but the instructions on the thread 'Adding Pictures' on the index page of the forum are clear and work for me. Biggest problem I find is remembering to limit the size of the pictures when they are uploaded to Photobucket.