Information sought on early 1905 Rover

Jason O Shaughnessy

Information sought on early 1905 Rover

Post by Jason O Shaughnessy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:00 pm

Hello All

Would it be possible to get the name/phone number for anyone in the club, who are well versed in the repair, maintenance etc of the early (1904-1912) Rover 6hp cars?

It would be of particular help if I could get in contact with someone who would have the records of Chassis, dates of manufacture etc as I am currently looking at a car and would like to find out all I can prior to purchase etc.

Regards
Jason O'Shaughnessy

GOY189

Re: Information sought on early 1905 Rover

Post by GOY189 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:55 pm

Hello Jason,

We do have members who have experience of these cars. Unfortunately, the Rover production records prior to 1940 were destroyed during the air raid on Coventry in November 1940.

The Rover Sports Register has some details compiled from owners of the very early cars, If you tell me more about the car, I will see what I can find out

Regards

Mike Maher
Chairman

GOY189

Re: Information sought on early 1905 Rover

Post by GOY189 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:29 pm

Re-posted from PMs as Information regarding Irish Archives may be useful

Hello Michael

Firstly thanks for responing---the car is, I think, known to the club. The car is registered IK 173(Co Dublin Ireland) and I am trying to asertain what it may cost to replace the water pump, blade and pedestal, I presume I would have to get them made. Also I would like to know if the club has any information on the car as to its Irish heritage etc. Is there any information as to the first purchaser? Retaining its original registration could be a hard job as its different here to the system in the UK

I appreciate that its a tall order but any help would be gratefully received. If you would like, I could ring you for a chat about the car? Do you mind me asking, do you have one of these 6hp cars? If so how do you find it?

Regards
Jason

Hello Jason,

The car is known to the RSR, at any rate there is a club archive entry for it, without a great deal of data. It has chassis number 504 and may have been owned by the Rover Company at some time in its history.

As regards earlier history, when it was built, the local registration practices across the UK and Ireland were much the same, although as you say they differ now. I have several reference books and have discovered that Dublin records covering the period may be at the Dublin City Archives, City Assembly Rooms, 58 South William Street, Dublin (01677 5877) according to “How to trace the history of your car” by Philip Riden.

As regards ownership, The RSR has few details as I mention above, however, Riden’s book has details of the “Irish Motor Directory and Motor Annual” that lists registration numbers, owners and addresses of all mechanically propelled vehicles throughout Ireland, It was first Issued in 1910, and updated spasmodically until at least 1925.

Copies of the Irish Motor Directory and Motor Annual are available (I think only for reference) at the Museum of Irish Transport, Scotts Garden, Killarney (064 34677).(Note: I discovered that the museum closed, during my conversation with Jason)

As regards parts, I suspect that you will have to have them made, If they are missing, I’m sure that we can at least get photos and dimensions. There are several enthusiastic owners of 6hp cars in the club, (not me!), although I have driven one. They are great fun to drive.

Best regards

Mike