The Old Girl

johnwp5bcoupe

Re: The Old Girl

Post by johnwp5bcoupe » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:30 pm

I have rejoined now down to two clubs sadly I see the P5 section is still a wilderness :?

Since my last post thing have moved on a lot more done to The Old Girl this winter ready for the sunny days :roll:
I met a few of you at the NEC 2011 so I hope to meet a few more this year?

All the suspension has been removed bead blasted etch primed and painted plus the engine bay has had an upgrade so if there any P5b guys out there HELLO! here are a couple of pictures.

John.

Dirkco

Post by Dirkco » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:39 am

Hi John,

Your B looks great! post more pictures please.

I finished my Coupe in 2011 here is a picture of my boys with the car

All The Best
Dirk in the States

johnwp5bcoupe

Post by johnwp5bcoupe » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:19 am

Hi Dirk at least there are two of us ;)

I started mine 17 years ago this is the first work done for 7 years apart for a few things like Steering Box / Pump mods to cure the old leak problems it's been a couple of years no leak yet!

My main aim this time was to do the heads to run on low grade fuel mine has never been happy on 95 (pinking) and 99 is getting expensive plus as you know we have E5 now and E10 soon which will downgrade the 99 oct? and I gather you are on E15? I have just rebuilt the AED with E proof Diaphragms as the old one had been eaten again by the E5!!

I have had it on a rolling road 150bhp at the wheels at 4000rpm which I thought was very respectable ;)

I made what I could out of 304 and 316 stainless and all the bolts are stainless apart from the Calliper ones, all the washers including the dish ones are hand made on my lathe I made dies for the dished ones and pressed them in a big vice ;) SS is great in a crimp mode or a push pull situation but weaker in a shear situation.

A good use for a ladder!

This one is at the NEC 2011

The boys look very proud ;)

Dirkco

Post by Dirkco » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:52 am

Hello John,

Outstanding!!!!

Great pictures I can appreciate the detail, I missed the 2011 and 2012 NEC so I missed seeing your B but I will be at the RSR Diamond Jubilee will you? I too prefer SS hardware and while I try to stay as original as possible I do prefer SS hardware and have replaced most on my Coupe with SS.

Here is a link to the photos of my B with here rear off.

http://www.roveramerica.com/images/p5b/index.html

More pictures please

Best
Dirk in the States

johnwp5bcoupe

Post by johnwp5bcoupe » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:56 am

Hi Dirk I remember your shunt well :|

I am getting too old in the tooth to keep laying on cold garage floors so the SS with Coppaslip on every joint is my way of spending less time laying on my back :) I can jet wash if I wish now! I have done all the work sympathetically as I hate to see chrome every where under the bonnet ok on a Mustang :D

I have booked in for the Jubilee my wife loves that part of the country so we may meet up?

John.

Phil - Nottingham

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:29 pm

Pity we will not make the RSR Jubilee rally this year to inspect your hard work!
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others

johnwp5bcoupe

Post by johnwp5bcoupe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:20 am

Hi Phil we keep missing each other I had hoped you would be there but your off to Ireland again ;)