Rover From Trinidad

x2board

Rover From Trinidad

Post by x2board » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:08 pm

Hello,

I have just started restoration works on my 1960 P5 MKIII
I’m in Trinidad, West Indies and there aren’t many cars like these around, I know of only three more on the island.
Parts are difficult to come by so I would not be able to maintain the originality like some of the cars on this site, but I’ll do my best.

So far, I am rebuilding a Chevrolet 350 engine and transmission to install, the straight 6 that originally came with the car has seized up and beyond repair

There is a lot of work to do on the car so I’ll be posting more pictures as the project continues.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3054676

]http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_imag ... _large.jpg

http://xs538.xs.to/xs538/09166/30546760002_large727.jpg" target="_blank" target="_blank

47p2

Re: Rover From Trinidad

Post by 47p2 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Welcome to the forum x2board.

An interesting project you seem to be taclkling fitting a Chevy engine into the Rover.

Are there many British made cars in Trinidad?

x2board

Post by x2board » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:30 pm

Thanks.

Our island was once under british rule a lot of british influence still shows here.. the architecture, political systems, academics....and of course the automobiles ..
the cars that survive are not in excellent shape but they are survivors.. we have lots of minis, hillman hunters, minx , avengers , a few imps, a few minors, loads of bedfords, and the occasional vauxhall but all pre 1970 and early 80 's models... after this, is when we saw the influx of the predominantly japanese cars occupying our roadways..
This is the way it is today.
mostly japanese and korean and used cars from singapore is the main vehicles here.
the eurpoean marques on the road are the new models of audi, renault, vw, ford, peugeot,mercedes, porsche etc.
It is a challenge to keep an older british car on the road here while maintaining it in original condition due to the unavailability of parts.. so this is why i'm going the route i chose ..

my mini on the other hand is 100% mini & it will stay that way.. :)

Dirkco

Post by Dirkco » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:52 am

Hi,

It is a shame you will not be able to enjoy the P5 as designed the 3 litre engine is among the smoothest.

I may be able to provide an engine if you want to pay for the shipping. I am in the USA

Feel free to email me.

Dirk in the states

Cars@roveramerica.com" target="_blank

x2board

Post by x2board » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi Dirkco

I read about your P5B adventures on the website, great work on the car excellent determination to get the car back to the standard after that collision.
I'm sorry i didnt get in contact with you earlier, , I would have definitely taken you up on that offer.
I've already modified the chassis and transmission tunnel to accept the chevy lump ..... i might start looking around for a front subframe in original condition if i see the need to return to the original set -up .

I know the smoothness of the rover v8 as i've driven a p6 before .. I like the ease of rpm , and i dont know if it's just me buty ithink i can "feel " the lightness of the engine when accelerating.. :)

I look forward to your advice and suggestion in continuing my restoration..

Thanks

Dirkco

Post by Dirkco » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:59 am

Hi,

If you want the sub frame with the engine mounted you may have that as well. Feel free to contact me anytime if you need a part or advice on what not to do as I have done that too.

Good luck
Dirk

x2board

Post by x2board » Tue May 05, 2009 2:42 pm

I checked the numbers on the VIN Plate mounted on the A pillar,

MKIII
Car 79500700A
IGN Key : FR781
Boot Key: FS 947

From the Taylor Book it seems i have a 1967 manual MKIII originally intended for the home market.
Either way, there is plenty of work to do on the car as the body is well rusted out.

I've uploaded much more pics of the car
It's in a very sad state, much more rust than expected.

Check the link
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3054676

after seeing this much rust & rot, I think I need some encouragement to continue.....

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:25 am

Having looked at your pictures there has been far worse cars returned to the roads and gone on to give many more years.

Keep us up to speed with the progress and possibly some pictures as you go

Good luck with the project.