P3 trans problem

Dirkco

P3 trans problem

Post by Dirkco » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:46 am

Hello All,

I took the P3 out for a ride this past Thursday with a visiting friend. I went about a mile or so and at a stop light the clutch gave a funny clunk and I lost the clutch. After getting over the embarassment of it I was towed back home.

When I had a look at the car it appears I must have broken the clutch fork as all the mechanism works but the clutch feels very light and does not disengage.

My question is has anyone removed the trans or pulled it back to replace the clutch plate with out pulling the motor or should I assume I have to pull both the motor and trans to fix it?

I Thank everyone in advance for their advice

Dirk in the states

paul williams

Re: P3 trans problem

Post by paul williams » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi Dirk trust you are well,

First let me say I have never had a P3 but on the P2 and P4 it is very easy to remove the gearbox from the engine in situ.

I am just off to check the P3 manual but I am sure you can do everything from within the car with the engine in place. P3 owners will no doubt confirm or otherwise in due course.

BTW I have just aquired a 1958 P4 with an interesting rallying history which I am in the process of getting back on the road.

Paul

Paul Williams
1929 2litre Saloon
1934 P1 10HP
1951 Rover Cyclops
1974 P6 3500
1998 LR Discovery I

P3Steve

Post by P3Steve » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:21 pm

Hello Dirk
It sounds like it might be one of the three links between the pressure plate and the levers that the release bearing push against, they are prone to break mine went a few years back. pulling the box out is no problem - first take out the seats and carpets and the floor boards and rubber trans cover, theres a small plate near the hand brake to removing - this lets you get to the prob shaft bolts. Once all this was out the way you can get to almost all you need from inside the car. I seem to recall that I released the exhaust at the front flange to let the engine move a bit more and I cant recall but Im sure I had to take the clutch pedel off, dont forget to release the free wheel cable and put a jack and block of wood under the back of the sump before releasing the gear box mounts. When all was ready I made a sling around the gearbox on to a length of wood that extended out each front door so that the gear box was hung rather like one of these films set in Africa where you see a game animal carried between two people. It was rather comical but I sat in the floor at the back and guided it out while my wife and sister in law lifted it out with the wood as there was no one else around at the time to help though I not sure they found it funny at the time. All in all I found no real problems and in fact thought it easer than some front wheel drive modern cars I have done. while out I used the old floor boards as patterns to make up some new ones as well but the whole job only took me two days at home in my garage, good luck and give me a shout if you have any more questions.

keninnsw

Post by keninnsw » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:03 am

Hi Dirk,

I recently replaced the clutch in my P3. Steve gave you good advise except I didn't use anyone to lift out the transmission except moir.
You will need to undo the exhaust pipe at the manifold, release the fuel line from the carburettor and place a jack under the bell housing or sump to jack the motor up approx 1 1/2 inches to enable the transmission to be withdrawn.
I also took a measurement from the end of the freewheel cable to enable easy re attachment.
You wil aslo have to release the reverse light switch wires and the speedo cable.

Good luck.

Kindest Regards,

ken

Dirkco

Post by Dirkco » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:15 am

Hello Paul, Steve and Ken,

Thanks for the advice I hope to tackle the job this weekend I will update the forum on my progress.

Dirk in The States

P3Steve

Post by P3Steve » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:37 am

Hi Dirk, any update on the clutch problem. Regards Steve

Dirkco

Post by Dirkco » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:56 am

Hi Steve,

No, I have been working on fininshing my 105R but hope to have her part very soon. I keep you updated.

BR
Dirk