Valve job

P3Steve

Valve job

Post by P3Steve » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:57 pm

Hi Guys
Having put off this job for a year or so I'm going to do the Valves on my P3. The comps are all over the place and the old oil down the plug holes dosnt make any differance to the readings so it looks like the valves are ready. I've got a set of exhaust valves in already and will have to see on the inlets but if any of you guys who have done this whats the story on the valve seats on the P3? any hints or tips on the whole job would be helpfull. Regards Steve

P3Steve

Re: Valve job

Post by P3Steve » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:22 am

Thanks for your support and encouragement.

Paul Gregory

Post by Paul Gregory » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi Steve,
Sorry for not responding before, but I have not had to actually do any valve work on my P3, so didn't feel I could provide any comment / advise. Have you made much progress / done the job now? Was it just poor / variable compression which has made you decide to look at the valves or have you had the classic blue haze out of the back due to the inlet valve seals hardening?
Regards
Paul
RSR Post 1950 Librarian

Do you have anything which could be added to the RSR Library for the benefit of all members? Please let me know if you have.

P3Steve

Post by P3Steve » Tue May 18, 2010 10:21 am

decided to put the valve job off for the time being as after going through the electrical system and finding a slight short on the live feed from the coil the car has been running very well, yes the compression readings are unbalanced but there are for more pressing jobs to do at the moment

P3Steve

Post by P3Steve » Tue May 18, 2010 10:28 am

PS no there is no blue smoke in fact very little smoke of any type and the oil doesn't burn off very quickly so it cant be too bad at all, good oil pressure too so I'll leave well alone for the moment