P3 bonnet tape

byb

P3 bonnet tape

Post by byb » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:15 pm

Hi all, I am struggling to find the perfect size self tapping screw to secure the twin roll bonnet tape to my newly painted 4 light saloon. The nearest I have found are pan headed No 6 by 3/8. The diameter of these is ok as the existing holes in the bodywork are approx 3mm dia. However the pan head, even without a washer, is too close to the top of the tape and will possibly hit the bonnet as it closes. Rivets are too large in their shaft diameter although the heads are a perfect size.

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Don Cole.

TonyG

Re: P3 bonnet tape

Post by TonyG » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:53 pm

Hi,

I’m not familiar with the P3, but it is probably much the same as the P2. When I did mine I used small pop rivets to hold the tape on and they pulled in really tightly, thereby not rubbing on the underside of the bonnet edge. These were 3mm rivets and I had to carefully drill the holes to fit.

Finding correct screws is difficult and I think the original ones were countersunk items, having thin slotted heads. To find these you probably need to search second hand shops or auto-jumbles. As such, I felt the rivets were a better solution and, being aluminium, don’t rust.

Tony.
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport