Spring Removal

Jolly Rogers

Spring Removal

Post by Jolly Rogers » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:46 am

Hi all. Ive been attempting to remove the rear springs from my 48 75 for the past few months, between work and family comitments its been very slow going.
Id been warned that they are a pain in the rear to remove and thought I might get them off with out loading up the spring to streach it out. I have never been more wrong in my life, after a few attempts with the help of my Father, we got the Heath Robinson spring removal tool down pat. We went bush mechanic on it using a truckers tie down chain, length of 4x2 timber and hydralic jack.
Ive never in my engineering experiance come across such a dificult set of bolts to remove. I know why my mate sold me the car now, he wasnt looking foward to doing this job himself.
Anyway with the help of a heating torch and WD40 and loading up the spring we did get one end undone. The other end is half way there. So has anyone got any sugestions that are proven to work in aiding the removal of these bolts?

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p59 ... 1508_n.jpg
My Father helping me out with loading up the spring.

Cheers

Steve

deckell

Re: Spring Removal

Post by deckell » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:44 am

Hello steve i know exactly what you are up against as i have recently had mine out ,a great frustrating experience.where abouts are you situated if you forward your phone number i could give you a ring and give you some advice.i live in bundaberg queensland best regards Derrick.Smith.

Jolly Rogers

Re: Spring Removal

Post by Jolly Rogers » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:53 am

Hi Derrick, I'm in Caboolture so not to far considering.
My sister inlaw lives up in Bundy.
My email is steven.rogers@hotmail.com.au

I've got the spring out of the left side now and removed the shackle.
Ive got to replace the spring slipper rubbers while I'm at it, just been trying to find something
similar to substitute, I've found some ford ones in urethane that are close but I might have to just buy them from the guy in Melbourne.
Getting the shackle apart is going to be fun.