P3 carb question

P3Steve

P3 carb question

Post by P3Steve » Thu May 21, 2009 7:18 am

Hi chaps, after a work enforced absence over the last eight months I’ve dusted off the spanners and am trying to catch up with the back log of jobs on the P3. But want to pick your brains on one problem. I’ve got a slight petrol drip coming from the accelerator pump on the carburettor but before I jump in both feet first can anyone tell me 1) what is the best/easiest way to remove the carb as it seems to have an elusive fifth nut right at the back between the carb and rocker cover, dose this mean a manifold off job or has any one made a tool to get this nut off and 2) can you get kits for or even can they be repaired at all if the accelerator pump has gone, the manual says that it must be changed as a complete unit and is not repairable dose any one make a kit for it. Until I get it off and apart I don’t know what it is but the car dose still run ok, so well dose she pull away from a stop that my favourite trick is if I pull up at some traffic lights if there is two lanes you can see about half a dozen modern cars pull up in the next lane not wanting to be stuck behind the “slow “ old car, when the lights change I make use of her relative low gearing and am usually at the next set of lights long before they are. I know its wrong but to see their open mouths and surprised faces makes it all worth while, it goes with out saying that this is all done within the speed limits any way hope some one out there can help me with the problem. Regards all Steve

lakesrally

Re: P3 carb question

Post by lakesrally » Thu May 21, 2009 7:53 am

Hi Steve,

To get at the 5th nut I used an old normal spanner but heated it up and bent it near the end to suit. Unfortunately I lent it out and cannot remember who to so will have to prepare another one. Overhaul kits used to be available from Burlen Fuel Systems http://www.burlen.co.uk" target="_blank but the last time I approached them for parts for my P3 carb they were not interested, they might be more interested in the present economic climate. Best of luck,

patrick hiron

Re: P3 carb question

Post by patrick hiron » Thu May 21, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi Steve
Don't give up on the Solex , its really a Weber's grandad .! Chas Vyse wrote the definitive article on Solex carbs in Freewheel 307 October 2004 , I added some comments on the elusive glass ball valves in the accelerator pump , in Freewheel 314 December 2005 . DEspite the Rover manual's dire warnings the accelerator pump is easily serviced , I bought a complete service kit on E Bay . I agree that Burlem seems to have sub contracted it's customer service way offshore, to Lower Slobovia ??
Cheers
Patrick