P3 Windcreen

trevor

P3 Windcreen

Post by trevor » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi,

I am in the process of doing a complete resoration of my P3. I need to get the windscreen surround re-chromed and fit new seals. The problem is how to dissassemble the windscreen.
Where the two halves of the surround meet there are two screws either side of the join,see photo -
The screws are shot at, so I have drilled two of the screws out as per photo in the hopes that the surround would come apart but I cannot shift it. Obviously because of the glass it needs gentle handling!
Can anybody help me?

Thanks, Trevor

GOY189

Re: P3 Windcreen

Post by GOY189 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:20 pm

Hello Trevor,

I suspect that these are part number 77585, aka windscreen joining strips. You can get replacements from Meteor Spares. If they are rusted slightly ( the norm in P2's), they will be extremely tight in the frame. I suggest that you release 2 screw heads at the opposite side, then oil both joining strips through the screw holes. Now carefully use a hammer and a block of of wood against the brackets to tap and separate the 2 halves of the frame.

If the glass breaks, it can be replaced with laminated glass that can be cut to pattern at a good glass merchant.

Hope that this helps

Mike

chris dancey

Post by chris dancey » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:12 am

I have just completed the restoration on ' Snowdrop 's windscreen which is a 1934 P1 and probably slightly different but the general principles apply. These windscreens were made by ' Perfecta ', a Birmingham based windscreen manufacturer . I discovered also when dismantling that the small frame securing brackets were rusted in, and that the countersunk screws were beyond extraction. On the early P1 there were only three screws to each bracket, liberal amounts of releasant fluid and general easing allowed the dismantling of the frame, glass etc. I like you had to drill out the screws which were seized solid.

I replaced the small brackets with brass replacements, homemade with new brass screws...an exact copy, to prevent further future problems, co-incidently I have just forwarded an article on this to ' Freewheel '

I had problems finding a suitable glass to frame rubber seal, the seal needs to be very thin, I found that a bicycle inner tube was just right, with a small bead of seam sealer at the bottom just in case.

I have just noticed that you have the rainwater edge seal retainer track, which looks similar to the P1. Meteor Spares are the only supplier of the correct grade and rubber extrusion, this needs to have the ' T ' section width of at least 6mm to stay in the track, I asked for samples from various suppliers and all were unsuitable , .....Mikes was spot on.

Chris
1934 ( 1935 model ) P1 '10' Saloon RD 6160
1935 P1 '10' Saloon ( originally JB 6729 ) now VSJ 156
1946 P2 '14' Sports Saloon KPG 855
1933 MG J2 Cycle Wing Model APB 560
1933 MG J2 Competition Model ALX 124

trevor

Post by trevor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:33 pm

Thanks for that guys

I'll let you know!!

Trevor

neil.henderson

Post by neil.henderson » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:12 am

Hi,
I have taken the windscreen out of my P3 4-light because the rubber was perished & there was some corrosion starting around the windscreen.
I have the replacement rubber which fits into the chromed windscreen surround (got the rubber from Scotts Old Rubber in Melbourne) - is there a trick to getting the rubber back in to the groove/slot? I seem to be having great difficulty and don't want to risk pushing it in with a screwdrivier in case I cut the rubber.
Would appreciate any tips/hints.

Thanks Neil

luli

Post by luli » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:18 pm

May be this can help a little:
http://wp.me/pXLKy-EB
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

Chris C

Post by Chris C » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Hi Neal
Try one of these websites for some info it should work for a P3.

About.com Auto Repair - Installing a Windshield Rubber with the Soapy String Trick
How-to fit a car front windscreen with rubber window seals

wiki.answers.com › ... › Categories › Cars & Vehicles › European Cars‎
These instructions are not for bonded windscreens but are for rubber seals. ... There are two basic types of rubber seal one type has a slot to fit the car the glass to ...

Regards, Chris C

Rover 14 - 1939
Rover 75 - 1949
Chris Cartmell - DVLA Liaison Officer
Rover Sport Register

1939 - Rover 14 Saloon (P2)
1975 - Rover 2200 Saloon (P6)