Oil Pump Troubles, 1947 12hp

RodScarman

Oil Pump Troubles, 1947 12hp

Post by RodScarman » Thu May 19, 2011 12:04 am

Ive currently have the oil pump removed from my car and am concerned about the bearing clearances on the main shaft.
The shaft is 0.498" dia. on its bearing length [at both top and bottom] and shows little sign of wear [less than 0.0002"]
The top, P/Bronze bush is 0.500" bore, The bottom bush is the same [no bottom bush its just reamed in the body of pump]
This seems a lot of clearance, also its odd that the bores should be exactly 0.500" ?
I would be interested in what others find the sizes are, should they have a pump handy. Also any comments, etc, Were they made like this? With such big clearances? Or maybe they fitted a undersized shaft originally?
Rod Scarman 47/12t

P3Steve

Re: Oil Pump Troubles, 1947 12hp

Post by P3Steve » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:56 am

Sorry I cant help you Rod, I just replied so you knew your PC was working as you might have had doubts after the flood of replies (not) that you had which is about right for this sight.

luli

Post by luli » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:28 am

I have several such oil pumps. I have compared thier dimensions with your description, and I think that the condition of your pump is normal.
Do you have the RSR P2 workshop manul? page A13 gives a detailed description of oil pump overhoul.
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

RodScarman

Post by RodScarman » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:13 pm

Hello. P3Steve, luli & all

I am trying to cure a knocking ["tonk"] noise that is coming from the pump [or very close to it] This noise has been there for well over 40 years and only occurs at tick over and very low engine speeds.

luli,
Did you find the shaft diameter to be, 0.0498" and the bush, 0.500" ?? the bush is easily checked by inserting a piece of 0.500" rod and noting any play
I have looked in the "34-47 P2 Manual" pages, A15/16 and it says, "........ the bushes in the pump body should be checked and replaced if necessary, ........" Also in, Dimensions & Data [p.18] it gives; Drive shaft, End float [0.008" - 0.012"] But nowhere that I can find, the diameter of the drive shaft or its limits, given.

As the drive shaft is only about, 0.5" dia. and over 12" long. And has worn, bearings top?? and bottom?? I'm wondering if the shaft is, "whipping about" at low speeds and is causing the noise.

Regards to all, Rod Scarman 47/12t

More waffle:

It is quite possible that the cause is wear on the pinion and worm, these are best replaced as a pair. This would be a difficult and very expensive job and so I'm trying to eliminate all other things first.
Should I choose to renew the main shaft, the pinion and worm will then run closer and they'll presumably have to "run in" again [considering its run like this for 1,000's of miles] In the long term this may cause more harm than good? I don't know and would be very interested in the opinions of others.
I have already, made/fitted new rocker shaft and bushes, re-bushed the distributor and checked the distributors weights. Also Ive tried altering the "Drive shaft end float" and checked for sticking "cam followers" All the lower part of the pump was assembled as specified in the "Manual" including the renewed the bronze bush and pin on the aluminium driven gear.
Ive also put a posting on the "Discussion List, on this web site.

RodScarman

Post by RodScarman » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Paul Luli
Sorry i forgot to thank you both for writing
Rod Scarman