Rover 14 Sports Saloon New find

Dirkco

Rover 14 Sports Saloon New find

Post by Dirkco » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:52 am

Hello All,

I recently have come upon a I believe to be a 1936 Rover 14 Sports saloon VIN 624532
It appears the car has been in storage for many years. I have not seen it in person and the car has been dissasembled.

Does anyone know if the vehicle number corosponds to a 1936 sports saloon? If so do you know how many were produced?

Thanks
Dirk in the States

andrewmcg

Re: Rover 14 Sports Saloon New find

Post by andrewmcg » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi Dirk
Yes there is such a 1936 14 sports saloon with chassis no. 624532 and its UK registration no was CXW 91. It first appeared in the RSR in 1981 when the then owner described it as a chassis only!!! it has subsequently appeared with 2 further owners the last joining in the late 1990's when he described it as condition 'G', ie off the road in need of restoration, he also said it was black with a brown interior, maybe it has picked up a body since 1981????. It was still in this members ownership in 2008, no news since.
A total of about 3900 Rover 14's were produced in 1936, but the Rover records did not show the breakdown between saloons and sports saloons prior to 1937 but I would guess about 15 possibly 20 percent would have been sports saloons.
Out of interest and so that I can make a note on the RSR archives where is the car now and do you have an owners name???

Regards
Andrew McGovern
Pre 1950 RSR Archivist

Dirkco

Re: Rover 14 Sports Saloon New find

Post by Dirkco » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:09 pm

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for the information!

Were Sports Saloons bodied in Aluminum? I thought everything was steel bodied?
but the Streamlines and some earlier cars.

It is a very funny story about how I found the car.

I was attending a trade show in Las Vegas Nevada several weeks ago for business. During a show I met 2 gentlemen from the UK we spoke and things got around to old British cars and my collection of Rovers they said they would keep a lookout for me.
We exchanged business card and we went our separate ways.

This past week one of the gentlemen I met called me and said I found a Rover for you. He said I went ahead and purchased the car as it was going to be scraped and I knew you would like it. To say I was surprised in an understatement I thought it was just polite conversation.

The condition of the car is relatively poor the back body from the sunshine roof back is off the frame and in pieces from the pictures. However from the dash forward it appears to be un-molested. I plan to see the car in person when I come in June for the National.

Any information regarding Sports Saloons and their body types is much appreciated

Thank You!

Dirk in the States