Starter motor 12 tourer p2

David2021

Starter motor 12 tourer p2

Post by David2021 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:33 pm

Symptoms: press starter button...solenoid clicks, starter whirrs, but doesn't engage
Healthy battery, connections all apparently good, worked fine when I put it away!
I do know the starter ring is a bit chewed from when peering at it when checking the timing!
I can't turn the engine on the handle until I replace the front engine mountings (doing that tomorrow!)
Rocking in gear to turn the engine a bit though hasn't removed the problem.
Cause?
oily pinion shaft?
pinion worn? stuck?
Ring gear worn?
Any ideas?

47p2

Re: Starter motor 12 tourer p2

Post by 47p2 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:42 pm

Possible the rubber in the bend has split causing the motor to turn but not the engine. Link below should fit your starter motor, best check first before buying

https://www.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog/B ... 60046.html

David2021

Post by David2021 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:01 pm

A Good Day!
I loosened off the bracket to remove the motor as per the Manual and also noticed the motor appeared to be loose in the bracket, so withdrew the locking bolt. I did not know (then) that this should fit in a hole in the dynamo casing, so moved the motor forward., tightened it up And it worked. Then I spotted the locating hole, so refitted it with the dowel bolt in the right place and …all works! How it had moved I have no idea, probably it had not been located properly for years, but just had the bolt jammed against the casing ,but all is good now.
Then we changed the front engine mountings (two people needed to do it I suggest!) and realigned the starting handle support on the crossmember. Not difficult apart from lifting the engine … Replaced the top water hose as it was now too long! Sorted the nearside headlamp dip beam, Started up and the ignition warning light stayed on! I think something must have been displaced when fiddling around with the n/s engine mounting under the dynamo. Not a worry...I'll have a look in daylight!
All the exhaust joints are 100% , so no leaks there. I'll see if the carb is clean inside tomorrow.

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:17 am

I thought I recognised the description of the symptoms but I could not put my finger on it. The same thing happened to me ie the locking bolt was loose and the bendix wouldnt engage properly. On mine there are 2 fixing bolt holes close to each other and I am not why. Perhaps at some sime in the past someone had installed a different starter motor with slightly different dimensions?
Rob

David2021

Post by David2021 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:02 pm

Sorted! All revealed in the Travels section (should have said travails perhaps!) The Starter motor had moved in the housing because the locating bolt was being used as a clamp and the starter had moved backwards. Locate it in the right place with the dog point in the locating hole...all good. Simples!