Solex Carburrettor 30FFA1

luli

Re: Solex Carburrettor 30FFA1

Post by luli » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:53 pm

If you suspect some of the surfaces is dirty or not plane you need to take the bi-starter apart, clean and polish. As I said before, some times it helps but there are some carburretors with internal damage in their body and the only solution is to use another one.
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

rgburlend

Post by rgburlend » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:18 am

Looking at the pictures of the carburettor originally posted, the mounting flange is very severely distorted. This is very common in my experience as the manifold design uses the carburettor mounting to bolt the two parts (inlet and exhaust) together. As a certain force is needed to hold these parts together, there is the natural tendency to overtighten the carburettor flange to effectively clamp everything together.

This has little or nothing to do with the matter in hand, but my suggestion would be to find a good pre war SU and fit that using a substantial adaptor plate to take the bolting load. These are much easier to set up and spares availability is very good. Efficient and reliable running is a higher priority in my view to originality.

I do have some photos of my solution to this problem if anyone is interested.

Richard

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:03 pm

Hi Richard
Your comment about the mounting flange made me stop and go back and look. Its true that the top of the mounting flange looks distorted in the photo but in fact I bought this carb as refurbished and it appears as though the mating face has been planed down to flat and so that isnt the problem.
I have now acquired another 30FF1A carb cleaned it and installed it. It runs but not noticeably better or worse than the original one. In a way that is reassuring. There is a snag tho and that is the new one came without the mounting bracket/arm which the choke sleeve is fitted to and which also holds the ball and spring which snaps the choke operation into the mid position. Anyone know the whereabouts of one please?
Rob

David2021

Post by David2021 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:39 pm

Can you not take it from the other carb?
D

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:19 pm

David
I have taken it from the other carb temporarily (and the ball and spring) but I want them both to be complete and usable. Is that too greedy? If I decided to sell the spare then the purchaser would almost certainly expect completeness
Rob