Christmas Challenge

RobHomewood

Christmas Challenge

Post by RobHomewood » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:28 pm

No entry fee and no prizes!
I have been attempting to work out the correct sequence for tightening the head bolts on a 6 cylinder P2 engine and I have not been able to locate any official (or unofficial for that matter) diagram to show recommended practice. I have sketched up the head bolt positions as best I can estimate (doing a properly accurate drawing would take for ever) and attempted what I think may be close to a logical sequence. Drawing at rocker level attached
P2 Rover 6-Cyl head bolt sequence - rocker level.jpeg
P2 Rover 6-Cyl head bolt sequence - rocker level.jpeg (56.8 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
BUT I AM NOT AN ENGINEER! and what is more I have never refitted a P2 head - yet. My challenge is for anyone out there with more experience than me to improve on the sequence I have shown and send it back. If you spot any other errors or omissions please let me know and if by any chance you have an official Rover practice note or similar I would be very grateful to see it.
As I said there are no prizes but current & future generations of P2 owners will be grateful to you
Merry Christmas!
Rob

luli

Re: Christmas Challenge

Post by luli » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:08 am

It looks reasonable, and I don't think it is so critical.
Make sure that all the threads are clean and dry, and that the bolts are not stretched. Tighten gradually, several rounds, increasing the torque step by step, up to 30 lb/feet. Make sure that both surfaces (engine and head) are clean and straight.
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:10 pm

Many thanks for your reply Luli and seasons greetings to you. I am disappointed that I got no other replies or suggestions although perhaps members thought your post covered the topic. However I am reluctant to leave the drawing out there when it is unverified for others in the future to rely on potentially and so am arranging to delete it,
regards
Rob

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:43 pm

HYello ,if you tighten from the centre out going criss cross you cant go wrong ,also tighten in steps from 10 Lbs up in 5 Lbs up to correct amount Then recheck after 250 miles it isnt that critical if you tighten as said Len