1947 P2

digcot65

1947 P2

Post by digcot65 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:10 pm

Good afternoon I`m helping a friend,who has a 1947 P2 .He went a run in it the other day,then next time he started it it sounded awful I` ve had the rocker box off and started to remove the head as three of the push rods are slightly bent. I can`t see this just being due to one valve more like the timing has slipped.Is there a way to check the three chain wheels are in the correct position regards to each other, I know there is sometimes a mark on each wheel to get them aligned correctly The head needs to come off to give it a good check I also noticed there is no compression on a couple of cylinders.Any help would be very welcome ,I can then get back to restoring my own classic car Len

digcot65

Re: 1947 P2

Post by digcot65 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:31 am

Sorry I meant to add,since I`m doing this work on a friends car I wasnt sure what spanners to take with me I have unbolted all the manifold ones and all the head bolts,except for the two nuts at the front and rear nearside corners of the head I`m not sure if a ring spanner will fit over the bolts as they are near the casting.Can someone please tell me the correct size of these two nuts Also I think I am going to have to remove the timing chain cover ,again what size nut is it and is it left or right hand thread Len