Rover 10 trafficator switch

MikeB

Rover 10 trafficator switch

Post by MikeB » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:38 pm

Hi All

Whist attending the RSR rally at Kirby aviation museum I developed a problem with the trafficators on my rover 10, when turning right into the venue the guy behind me must have been confused because both trafficators came on at the same time :lol: after spending some time taking the trafficator switch to bits and assuming it was an mechanical problem and outting it back together I realised that the wiring going into the unit had twisted and frayed and had exposed wiring,when I moved the wiring the trafficators came on and off together Problem found and head off home with hand signals only

When I cam to remove the switch again I cannot see how to replace the wiring inside the switch as it looks like a sealed unit, so I have rigged up a 3 way switch for the time being so I can use the car,does anybody have any experience of replacing the wiring in these units or is it a case of source a good spare ?

Please see attached photos

Best regards

Mike

luli

Re: Rover 10 trafficator switch

Post by luli » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:28 pm

Getting a good one is the right solution.
As a temporary solution you can expose the 3 wires as much as you can, and verify that they are not shorted. Then cast them in epoxy, as the picture shows. The rest is self evident.
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

chris dancey

Post by chris dancey » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:32 pm

I also have had this problem with the switch on the 10hp Coupe. Like Luli, I bared the wires back and sealed them individually with shrink wrap conduit, fitted bullet connectors and rewired from there onwards. I did however find a new unused switch on a french trade stand at Beaulieu last year, they had about three of them, they had cut the wires abour 3 inches up the loom, this left enough to join and it works fine.

I don't think its an easy task to replace the wiring complete as its difficult to make out how to take out the lower end where the wires disappear into.
1934 ( 1935 model ) P1 '10' Saloon RD 6160
1935 P1 '10' Saloon ( originally JB 6729 ) now VSJ 156
1946 P2 '14' Sports Saloon KPG 855
1933 MG J2 Cycle Wing Model APB 560
1933 MG J2 Competition Model ALX 124

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:45 am

Both

Thanks for the help on this, I think I may be able to strip the wires back and seal the area where it enters the unit as per the pictures, I will have a go this week and post my success, or not!

Once again thanks for the invaluable help from this forum

Mike

Holmefarmer

Post by Holmefarmer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:29 pm

Hi, I've just stripped the trafficator switch on my '47 12 Tourer prior to ordering a new loom. The block that the wires disappear into is a friction fit in the metal housing. I found that it was necessary to hold the housing with the open side facing down, and then to strike it firmly and squarely several times onto a solid flat surface. The plastic moulding should then move downwards until it can be removed. Take care to keep it square to the surface as you do this, I did worry about breaking the lugs off but I got it out without any problems. Be careful when you do get the plastic moulding out though, it is very brittle, as I found out to my cost! Out come the superglue!

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:30 am

Thanks for that information, very helpful, I have managed to strip mine and separate the wires and insulate them as per the previous posts, however cannot seem to get it back working as of yet, I may have assembled it incorrectly however, does anybody have an pictures of how the hole assembly goes back inside the indicator stalk ??

Thanks
Mike

luli

Post by luli » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:29 pm

This is the base plate:
Note the difference between right and left, the little wheel and the little rod on the lever axle. The lever should point upwards.
These are the componenets, upside down:
Note that A is wider than B. Note also the "ramps" in C. These are the componets viewd as you assemble them:
Put A on left, and B will point right. Put the spring inside. Put C on the little wheel while playing with the lever until you feel that the little rod is inside D. Secure with the bolt.
Thats all.
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:41 am

Thanks Luli

As ever very helpful information

Regards

Mike

Willem

Post by Willem » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:25 pm

Just as an addendum to this posting, I have managed to repair the trafficator on my 12 tourer, the construction is slightly different to the one discussed above, the internals are as per Luli's photographs but mine is a one piece stalk and bottom bit unlike the later ones that have a screw to connect the bottom to the stalk. Whilst driving and indicating the little pin and wheel that centre the trafficator fell apart and locked the steering mid corner, slightly alarming I have to say, no further efforts on indicating were made for the rest of the journey. It transpired that the metal strip that the centring pin runs on disintegrated and caused the problem. I did manage to manufacture a new piece of metal and solder it to the remainder of the original, quite pleased with myself I have to admit
Attachments
Trafficator stalk.jpg
Trafficator stalk.jpg (14.2 KiB) Viewed 2304 times
Rover 12 Tourer, 1936
Range rover L322, 2009