sill replacement photos

wouldhee

Re: sill replacement photos

Post by wouldhee » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:49 am

Mine - measure about 30mm from outside skin to D post. Not good but not as bad as I originally thought if 17 is the norm!
However yes, it would be interesting to compare with more cars?
I will add a new post under the heading 'rear door gap survey' to see if I can get more Data.
Paul

Phil - Nottingham

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:26 pm

I would not say 17mm is the norm - it is the measurement on mine! These cars were handbuilt soon. No 2 prewar ones would be identical even on both sides!
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others

wouldhee

Post by wouldhee » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:58 pm

latest photos of sill repairs in progress.
comments / tips welcome!
Paul

http://s650.photobucket.com/albums/uu22 ... placement/

Phil - Nottingham

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:37 pm

Good work and pics - at least you have the remants to follow - all mine had long gone!

wouldhee

Post by wouldhee » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:28 pm

A post photos (Rover sill replacement part 5)
added to photobucket.com:
http://s650.photobucket.com/albums/uu22 ... 0part%205/

Just started using Argon mix rather that Co2 much better... less splatter .

carcathan

Post by carcathan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:41 am

Really good work Wouldhee - i see this post started in 2009 and i was just thinking of getting ready to start on mine back then (ah, the optimism of youth!)
Well i've taken the week off this week and (weather permitting) aim to start the initial strip down on my 12ss prior to the sill work. So an amusing coincidence that you just posted again recently. But you really are an inspiration as that job looks great. I must knuckle down and get started.
Please do keep posting on new jobs and with photos - i must keep a photo record of my own too.
Richard

wouldhee

Post by wouldhee » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi Richard,
Thanks for your comments.
I wonder who's car will be completed first??
I had a look at you photobucket photos and I looks as though we both have a similar challenge ahead!
Hard to tell from your photo's but is looks as if you will need inner sills as well as outers?
Although I chose to patch my inner sills, in a bid to retain the original alignment, in hindsight, (as Mikes instructions suggest), it might have been easier and quicker to replace the inners too. (What do others think?)
I assume you are using Mikes parts and instructions, So far I've found them spot on! ( Thanks again Mike)
I do hope you do manage to start this week, I am looking forward to seeing you updated photobucket with details of progress.
It will be good to compare notes and tips as we go along.
Hopefully other members will chip in with suggestions too?
Regards Paul

carcathan

Post by carcathan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Well, no contest so far as you are already streets ahead - i'm still working outside as having widened the garage in the last 2 years i then managed to fill it with junk again! Weather this week has meant i didn't get half what i wanted done.
But I've started stripping off one side to get to the sill to start assessing what i'll need - will try to upload some more photos to my photobucket page today. The car is really pretty bad all over, to the point i wondered if i'd have more success rebuilding as a special - but that was only a fleeting thought though as the ss is my favourite style by far.
If anything i hope my new photos make you feel more positive about your own car!

I've emailed Mike Evans about panels and he's just kindly replied, on a Bank Holiday too. He's provided a hand drawn diagram of the sill (is that the one you're referring to as instructions?) and a price list. Looking at the amount of repair panels i'm going to need i think the complete set of sills etc are just too expensive for my budget at the moment (though i realise they are value for the low volumes etc and that double curved outer sill looks beautiful). So i'm going to measure up to make my own inners and strengtheners from sheet steel and just pick the stuff i can't produce from Mike and others, but that double curved outer looks beyond DIY so i think i'll have to start saving for that purchase later (though as they are essentially hidden by the running board i wonder if a more diy'able option would make no noticeable difference.... i wasn't expecting to compete in any concours evens!). I like you repair sections made with that buck - but i don't think i have enough original remains to work with.
I've saved all your photobucket photos to my drive as i'm trying to identify a reference point for me to start - just got to clear that damn garage again.

Hopefully some decent sill repair pics by the middle of May.

Phil - Nottingham

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:43 pm

I can vouch for the fit and quality of Mike Evans sills - I fitted the whole lot on both sides incl inner bottom of B/C post as there was nothing left of the existing. The inner A panels had gone along with all the D posts and tops of the wheel arches and I had to fabricate these. The work took over 2 years and car was back on the road 10 years ago last month - still got to deal with door bottoms

carcathan

Post by carcathan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:32 pm

Hi Phil, any good pictures of the work - especially the D post and arch repairs?