wire wheel restoration

wouldhee

wire wheel restoration

Post by wouldhee » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:44 am

Copied from general discussion page as no response so far!
What do people think is the best way to restore wire wheels?
Sand blast,prime & paint? powder coat? stove enamel ?
any recommended names who will do this type of work (not too costly!)
preferably near to Lincoln?
Paul

47p2

Re: wire wheel restoration

Post by 47p2 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:06 pm

I would think sandblast prime and paint would be the route to go down. Powder coating once chipped will not be easy to repair and the same for stove enamels. The wire spokes are made to bend in use and powder coatings and stove enamels would soon deteriorate.

Only my twopence worth, please keep us informed as to which route you take

Rubythursday

Post by Rubythursday » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:01 am

I was always told to use a synthetic flexible paint such as Tractol or even Dulux as it doesn't chip off as the spokes flex. I hot sprayed mine with Buckingham Green Dulux, lasted for years.
To Hot Spray don't thin the paint but warm it in a bucket of boiling water. Heat the spray gun in a similar manner, Dulux or Permobel or Tractol or QDP when warm thins and when it hits cool metal chills and doesn't run as it thickens up and you get a high gloss finish.
Tony
1948 Rover 75, 1987 Range Rover Auto, 1987 Volvo 240 Auto 1999 Rover 75 Connoisseur Auto
http://www.tonysimons.me.uk

wouldhee

Post by wouldhee » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:33 am

Thanks,
Any thoughts on pre paint treatments? and what primer to use under the Dulux?
Do Dulux still making spirit based paint? Paul

TD9637TG

Post by TD9637TG » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:08 pm

Re wire wheel repainting.
I had my wire wheels shotblasted and powder coated in 1997 and they are still in fine condition. (1939 14dhc)
Yes, there a few small chips and where some of the spokes begin to move and fret at the hubs there is a bit of rust staining coming through. However this would apply even if they were spray painted. I would not be so kean on using an enamal based Dulux type paint-its not really meant for cars. The advantage of spray painting wheels is that one can use the same paint colour and type as the bodywork, either celulouse or two pack etc. The Dulux will not be the same colour code. The Powder coating system is also limited by colour range choice and one has to pick a shade compatible with body colour. Mine are blue.
The advantage of the powder coat system is that you take the five wheels -maybe quite rusty-along to a company and the whole job is done for you, allowing one to get on with another part of the car! Only snag is if the wheel rim is badly pitted, the powder coating process will not fill the pits, but follow the rust contours! Whereas with spray painting one can use spray fillers and rub down betweeen coats.
I had to have a wheel rebuilt a couple of years ago because of bad pothole damage to spokes (local council paid for repair!) and problem was to match colour with the other four. I think the cost was about £25 for the wheel to be powder coated after rebuild.

Bill McCreath

chris dancey

Post by chris dancey » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:30 am

I too had my spoked wheels media blasted and powdercoated back in 1980, I have been very happy with the result....even today there is no rust or any type of marking to spoil the finish. I am sure that if a spoke was chipped it would be relatively easy to match in using paint. On the subject of powdercoating following the base contours, it is possible to flat back the surface and reapply another coat of powdercoat...or indeed respray with hammerite. I have an arrangement with my powdercoater where I view the coated item, if I am not happy he lets me have it back to flat, he then recoats at no extra charge...gives a superb finish. Chris
1934 ( 1935 model ) P1 '10' Saloon RD 6160
1935 P1 '10' Saloon ( originally JB 6729 ) now VSJ 156
1946 P2 '14' Sports Saloon KPG 855
1933 MG J2 Cycle Wing Model APB 560
1933 MG J2 Competition Model ALX 124

jaymint101

Post by jaymint101 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:40 am

Thanks for sharing these.I had experienced wire wheel restoration when I got in a car rental bilutleie. It was difficult at first.they had me try it and it was not that difficult by then.