1934 Rover 12 ignition

Like a good wine, vintage Rovers need appreciating
digcot65

1934 Rover 12 ignition

Post by digcot65 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:03 pm

Morning Ive had the engine running ,really the first time since I bought the car May 2020 I only ran it for a few second when I bought the car as I was told it was missing on one cyl and I dint want to risk anything.That fault is cured,but I have a problem on the distributor,Im about to buy a new set of points as I find I cannot get a gap on the point ,of more the a couple of thou.which isn`t helping the spark.The actual cam as about 20 degrees play in it,on the spindle,again making it awkward to set timing and finally I am unable to get a reading showing the contact points are open,with the coil connected Any ideas,Im looking forward to getting the engine running as I want I can then get on to tidying the car up Len

digcot65

Re: 1934 Rover 12 ignition

Post by digcot65 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:58 pm

Managed to adjust the points but quite critical.The difference across the flats of the cam and across the shoulders is 0.70" and 0.73 .This doesnt seem a lot ,as though the cam is worn

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:41 pm

Hi Len,

The points gap, from memory, is about 12 thou. It should be possible to set this regardless of any wear on the four cam lobes. The problem would be that the points fail to close if the lobes were worn away, as if the points were running on a round shaft. I’ve never seen a distributor worn to that extent and suggest the problem is perhaps that you have the wrong points fitted. I believe the Green Sparkplug company stocks the points and the Distributor Doctor will probably have a compatible unit complete with electronic ignition. Another place to try is Accuspark, but I doubt it’s the distributor. The play you refer to sounds normal. However, when setting the timing it is important to move the distributor against the direction of the rotor arm so that the free play is factored out. Timing is set statically as there are no flywheel marks for dynamic setting.

You asked in another thread about fitting an alternator. Accuspark make the ‘Dynamator’, which is an alternator that looks like a dynamo and won’t look out of place under your bonnet. Cost about £150. I’ve fitted them on both my 12s and in 5 years never had occasion to charge the battery in my Tourer, even after a Winter lay up. Fitting it is easy and there are plenty of places telling you exactly how to if you Google it. Basically, the alternator/Dynamator has two connections, one that links to the live side of the solenoid to send charge to the battery, if required, and one for the ignition light, which has 12v standing on the other terminal from the ignition switch. I’m not sure how the wiring is changed on the regulator unit as my cars are wired for alternator only but I would think it’s a simple matter of recovering the wires that went to the dynamo and simply leaving the regulator redundant. Not sure about the ammeter. Seem to recall that Accuspark include some diagrams with their Dynamators.
If you do decide to fit one it might be a good time to consider converting to negative earth as you will need to specify either pos or neg earth when you order. Nothing else on your car is polarity conscious once you have reversed the wires on the coil and probably the ammeter.

Good luck.

Tony.
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:10 pm

Thanks I1ve sorted the distributor out ,but I would like to fit electronic ignition,which I`m enquiring about.I have a problem with the cut out at the moment .The dynamo is giving out voltage but the ignition light fails to go out,when the engine is running.I seem to have the early type cutout on mine,which I cannot find any information about I would like to get that sorted before fitting an alternator,or do away with enough of the wiring not to matter.I know the later voltage control boxes are made obsolete after fitting electronic Ign.Len
Attachments
DSCF0269.JPG
DSCF0269.JPG (162.71 KiB) Viewed 10018 times

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:12 pm

Tony when you fitted the "alternator" onto your car ,was it the same type of voltage cut out box I have ,if so what did it entail Len

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:32 pm

Forgot to ask has anyone with the same voltage control as mine,changed their car from Positive earth to Negative Len

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:10 pm

Len,

I installed my alternator when I re wired the car so the new loom was made accordingly. As such, I just chopped the relays out of the regulator box and used the fuses. I’m pretty sure Accuspark provide a wiring diagram for fitting in place of a dynamo. The regulator shouldn’t be polarity conscious but it sounds like yours is troublesome anyway so I’d junk it and go for the alternator option. More reliable and greater output. Not original, of course, but then neither is LED bulbs, leaded petrol, 2 pack paint or plastic insulated wiring. All sensible upgrades though, except the petrol!

Tony.
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:02 am

Thanks very much for your help.I contacted accuspark about electronic ign.and they cant help .I dont know if it due to my car having Pos.earth,which can easily be changed I have asked them if this is the difference Len

luli

Post by luli » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:38 pm

See here circuit and instructions for ultraspark ignition conversation: https://wp.me/pXLKy-17b
and some alternatives: https://wp.me/pXLKy-40S
also here: https://wp.me/pXLKy-41o
Better than Ultraspark is E-Spark.
Last time I have checked Daynamator is not produced any longer, but there is a more expensive alternative:
https://wp.me/pXLKy-4ra
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:51 pm

Just been in touch with ultraspark about changing to electronic ign I did say I am going to change the cer from Pos earth.to Neg earth and they said that even changing over they cant help .The only thing they can supply is an external device which allows me to keep the points but they will be operated by a low voltage.I know the Dist Doctor can supply and fit ,but at £135 its a bit expensive Len