37 P2 Restoration Progress

BillMcCreath

Re: 37 P2 Restoration Progress

Post by BillMcCreath » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:07 pm

Hi Tony,

Re your points on the 37 12 saloon.
The side lights should be fitted onto the centre line crease on top of the wings with front of light just behind line looking at right angles to the back of headlamp shell. John Burnett and I have discovered that on his 1939 14 dhc, restorer had fitted them on outside of crease , thus leaning over ( of full restored and painted wings )and good 3 inches behind line of head lamp shell! However this gives enough space to move side lights forward to correct position and fit wing mirrors in existing holes!

The chrome radiator bung can be purchased from Meteor Spares. Note, as you will know, this item for the 4 cyl cars 10 and 12 hp are round whereas the bung for 6 cyl models is an oval shape in rad shell.

Regards

Bill McCreath

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:01 am

Thanks Bill,

I suspect the restorer of the DHC was faced with the same dilemma I had regarding the side light position. They just look a bit awkward on top of the crease, as if the wrong lights have been fitted! Perhaps some clever creating with a rubber mounting for the side light will solve the issue for me.

I will, no doubt, be in touch with Mike before long for some parts so I will get a rad bung from him then. It’s the finishing touches that make the difference.

By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the DHC restoration. Such a lovely car and great to see it returning to excellent condition. Well done to you guys for bringing another old Rover back to life!

Tony
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport

deni

Post by deni » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:48 am

Hi Tony,

Your car looks really good and it is great to see before and after photos. Good luck with the re wiring.

Deni

Frost015

Post by Frost015 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:12 am

Hi Tony,

It really does look splendid .. Once we get out of this lock-down I would love to meet up and talk through ‘wiring’ (which I have put on hold until correct routing is clearer in my head).

I love the colour (and have also gone .. slightly .. ‘non-standard’ Black over Grey .. mainly as the car came with a full re-leathered interior in Blue, and I just couldn’t get near the correct period blue body colours whatever I did ..)

Finally, here’s another take on ‘two horns’ ... I also had two ‘non-period’ Lucas horns. Prefer your layout, and I may fabricate the necessary support bars for central light. Sadly I am missing the original horn as well as it’s support bracket.

https://www.rover-forum.thersr.co.uk/do ... iew&id=207

Ian
Attachments
6FF361F0-F6E5-4B8D-927A-DFD6C531730C.jpeg
6FF361F0-F6E5-4B8D-927A-DFD6C531730C.jpeg (132.92 KiB) Viewed 3859 times
1936 Rover 12 Saloon

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:25 pm

Hi Ian,

Great to see some pictures of your car. It certainly is looking very ship shape as, I must say, is your garage. Makes me feel inclined to have a tidy up! The present task with my P2 is sorting the wiring and putting the dashboard back in, although I’ve got a bit side tracked sorting out the under dash parcel shelf and the felt sound proofing on the bulkhead. My car had been fitted with a new loom before I bought it, which saves a little cost but not much effort as I need to modify it a bit to accommodate the Dynamator and flashing indicators. Autosparks had factored those changes in when they made the loom for my Tourer. I’d removed all the new wiring to spray the Saloon so pretty much a complete re wire I suppose. So far I’ve laid out all the sections of loom, compared it to the diagram in the manual and labelled each wire with masking tape so I know what each conductor is for before putting it into the car and connecting it together. Before doing that I will ‘tin’ all the wires where they connect behind the dash then do the same with all the other wires once fitted and cut to length. Extra effort but worth it not to have frayed wires around the place. Similarly, I prefer to solder any end connectors rather than rely on crimp connections.
I’m pretty sure the wires for rear lights, tank sender and brake light switch run inside the chassis section with just the interior light and trafficators going across the roof. I suspect your car will be the same, given that my Tourer was much the same. I seem to recall some rusted sections of flexible tube was used to protect various bits underneath so I may search out some shower hoses to utilise in their place. The main feed from the battery to the solenoid definitely goes through one on the passenger side.
Regarding the original horn; I’ve got an old and rusted one from a 1940 Saloon that you a welcome to but it will need some restoration! I think it’s the same as those fitted to earlier cars like yours.

Good luck with your car, it’s looking really good. With luck there should be some recently restored cars on show once we are able to get together again.

Tony.
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport

Frost015

Post by Frost015 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:23 pm

Hi Tony, Great news on the Pfizer vaccine (hopefully not too ‘fake’) .. so with luck we should have a few car shows in 2021.
I agree with all you say re the wiring .. except the bit about shower hose ! (Although it would be more waterproof than the original spiral wound metal conduit). I ordered off the internet a few different sizes of galvanised (or stainless .. I forget) spiral wound conduit, and have used this so far for the main run from the battery to the front. Am rather stuck about the rest of the runs (although ‘what wires connect where’ is relatively straightforward), mainly physically where they should be run.
Thanks for the horn offer .. much appreciated , we will have to find something I have to swap for it ... do keep it for me ..

That’s it for now ..

Ian
1936 Rover 12 Saloon