P2 brake balance assembly

RobHomewood

Re: P2 brake balance assembly

Post by RobHomewood » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:57 pm

Hi Tony
I've made some progress today. Firstly adjusted front rods to stop the offside snatching. Checked both set of shoes are correctly set and the tyre pressures match. Lengthened the offside transfer rod but 8 turns of the yoke didn’t seem to loosen it up (there was no play in it). So reset that and shortened the nearside rod. This only took 3 or 4 turns before grinding on dirt so I decided to leave it at that. Had to replace another snapped cotter pin.
Then loosened off the handbrake quite considerably. Initially this allowed more notches but I could see that there was no freeplay before the rods started moving. Backed off the nuts some more until there was a tiny bit of free play. It now allows 4 notches just. The test run showed some improvement in that the pull to the left on sharp braking was minimised and I think down to a tolerable level. The handbrake was a lot better but wasn’t quite holding on Old Hill- slipping back slowly. I think get the MoT done and get some figures off that before doing more.
Rob

RobHomewood

Re: P2 brake balance assembly

Post by RobHomewood » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:36 am

Just to give some feedback- very positive report today on the brakes at the MoT. The handbrake result was well above expectations and the rear brake roller test readings were 'better than a modern car like a Mondeo' and the front brakes stalled the roller. There was a 16% discrepancy between the front brakes but the tester said this would partly down to my weight in the driving seat. So I feel pleased and vindicated and very grateful for everybody's help
Rob