National rally 2009

Details of meetings etc where Rovers can meet
Dirkco

Re: National rally 2009

Post by Dirkco » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:22 am

Hello All,

As a resident of the USA and a Rover owner I was lucky enough to attend the National last year with my son. We had the time of our lives in the rain! When my wife saw the pictures of the venue for this year I was told in no uncertain terms she was coming this time. It seems to be a universal truth that all clubs will have some controversy from time to time. I can tell you looking in from from the (outside) USA that that the RSR is something special. So much so that I strongly recomend to others of the same inclination that regardless of where they live they should join the RSR or one of the other fine Rover clubs in the UK as you will not find warmer kinder people!!!!!

So why have I bothered to comment? I will tarvel 3000 miles to come to the National put the differnces and the cost aside and support the club and I will buy the first pint!!!

Looking forward to seeing you at the National
Dirk in the states

Red icon

Post by Red icon » Sat May 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Forde Abby is a very nice location and worth a visit but I must agree that a wider range of cars would have been more interesting. As a Rover fan for some years now it's always great to see loads of Rovers but It does get a bit boring, so where as I will always be a Rover nut I like many of you like to look at other models as well. So by keeping ourselves to ourselves the number of attendances will drop. Perhaps next year we can attach ourselves to some other car event. Where there will be more to do and look at. I have my ticket for Forde Abby so I hope to be there.

paul williams

Post by paul williams » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:41 pm

Originally I was going down to the national rally Friday evening and staying over with our caravan until Sunday, however, because of other family commitments the rest of the family are not coming.
I am therefore driving down early Sunday morning (12 July) and returning the same evening.
If anybody wants a lift ( I am leaving from Telford and heading south via Worcester and M5) please let me know. I shall be in my 1995 Disco.

Paul

Paul Williams
1929 2litre Saloon
1934 P1 10HP
1951 Rover Cyclops
1974 P6 3500
1998 LR Discovery I

richard moss

Post by richard moss » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:34 am

Red icon wrote:Perhaps next year we can attach ourselves to some other car event. Where there will be more to do and look at.
That was done for 2008 and it worked really well.
1990 827 Sterling manual
1990 Jaguar Sovereign 4 Litre on LPG
1969 MGC GT (currently hibernating)

Tim Moore

Post by Tim Moore » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:35 pm

Sadly all National Rallies the RSR are ever likely to organise for the many members outwith the NW Highlands are too far way from Skye, that's my problem not yours admittedly. Last one we attended was the 50th RSR anniversary at Blenheim and of course the resulting 31mph speeding fine I got in Woodstock flavoured what was a nice 6 day jaunt from Skye and a great rally. It was expensive getting there with accommodation, petrol and a then 46 year old car. However we wouldn't have missed it for the world. Sadly those of you complaining about location suitability down in Englandshire should consider what it means for those of us farther afield before harping on about suitability of venues etc. Yours graciously Tim Moore R7411445 ( a getting grumpier old dinosuar)
Piloting and living with a P2 16 HP Export saloon around mainland Europe for well over 30 years; notably and since 1990 in the Scottish Highlands and Britain.

Tim Moore

Post by Tim Moore » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:37 pm

That's jolly decent of you Dirk. An example to us all. Tim Moore
Piloting and living with a P2 16 HP Export saloon around mainland Europe for well over 30 years; notably and since 1990 in the Scottish Highlands and Britain.

richard moss

Post by richard moss » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:21 am

Tim Moore wrote:Sadly those of you complaining about location suitability down in Englandshire should consider what it means for those of us farther afield before harping on about suitability of venues etc.
Tim - I suppose that is a price you have to pay for living in one of the most beautiful places that Britain has to offer. I say that slightly tongue in cheek because, as has been noted by John Turner, the National Event seems to be exclusively English! I would be happy to drive to Scotland to attend a National Event - as long as it featured enough motoring related content to be worth the trip. I would not, however, go all that way to see nothing but Rovers.

As you know, I never questioned the geography just the content and (to a lesser degree price). I hope that those who attend enjoy their weekend, just as I intend to enjoy this coming weekend in Lichfield.
1990 827 Sterling manual

Richard Clements

Post by Richard Clements » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:48 pm

awww come on guys we have been here done that, lets move on huh ;)
1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic

richard moss

Post by richard moss » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:46 pm

Rich,

You're right - I'll shut up now.
1990 827 Sterling manual

GOY189

Post by GOY189 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:48 pm

Advice for rallygoers. If you are travelling on Saturday 11th and staying locally near Forde Abbey, if possible avoid the A303 in the vicinity of Yeovilton as there is an airshow and traffic can be expected to be heavy.

Mike Maher