National rally 2009

Details of meetings etc where Rovers can meet
richard moss

National rally 2009

Post by richard moss » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:51 pm

Is it just me or does anyone else think that a mistake has been made in the choice of location for the 2009 event?

I'm sure that Forde abbey is lovely but it's going to cost twice as much to get in as the Cars in the Park event in 2008 and there's no associated car event taking place on the day. I can't help thinking that a Rover-only day is a little narrow minded and that a car enthusiasts national event ought to be taking place at a car related location (or one where a car show is taking place at the same time).

Given that the road run visits the Haynes Museum at Sparkford, could the event not have been held at the museum or a similar type of location? I'm a Rover entusiast but i live with Rovers everyday and would welcome some variety.

I can't afford to pay hotel prices for a family of 4 and the fact that there is no on-site camping at Forde Abbey means that I will have to use a relatively expensive local campsite. It's going to be an expensive weekend for very little motoring interest and so i'll probably give it a miss.
1990 827 Sterling manual
1990 Jaguar Sovereign 4 Litre on LPG
1969 MGC GT (currently hibernating)

dorsetflyer

Re: National rally 2009

Post by dorsetflyer » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:08 pm

Having been to Forde Abbey before I agree it is rather expensive as a venue for this type of occaison. The setting at the front of the house is excellent and the gardens are stunning when in full bloom. The fountains if working are spectacular and I can recommend the cream teas.
I would have thought that the reverse of what is happening over the weekend would have been much better , i.e have the run to Forde Abbey and hold the National at Haynes Motor Museum.
I have been there at Haynes two years running for the national of the PVHCC and thoroughly enjoyed it. I remember a coach was laid on for those wives and girlfriends who wanted to shop at Clarks Village at Street whilst us men talked cars etc. If that had happened I'm sure it could be arranged for other clubs and makes to attend to get the extra interest.

richard moss

Post by richard moss » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:20 pm

dorsetflyer wrote: If that had happened I'm sure it could be arranged for other clubs and makes to attend to get the extra interest.
That would be much more interesting.

I also have to say that basing the evening events around a £100 per night/£20 per meal hotel shows a lack of realism about the facts of financial life for people with a a mortgage and kids (you decide which is more expensive - kids or mortgage!).

I appreciate that you'll never please everyone but I do feel that this year's plan is EXclusive not INclusive, whereas 2008 was great. I know that a number of other members feel the same way.
1990 827 Sterling manual

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi Richard,
As a fellow entrant of events I have every sympathy with your predicament, I have been there myself, fortunately my kids are a bit older now and it is rare for all four us to go away together. However, with my other hat on as the organiser of the Lakes Rally, it is very difficult to get a hotel that can accommodate 100 or more people to sit down together for their evening meal, especially if half of them are not residents. Believe me, I have tried. The Burnside Hotel that we use for the Lakes Rally is not cheap but we are in a tourist area, as Dorset is, and market forces dictate their prices. Only large hotels have that sort of capacity and they tend to be the hotels at the top end of the market. If I could find a hotel that charged half as much but could still give us everything that we need then I would give it a try. I keep looking but it is not as easy as looking for a hotel for a family of four.

And you are right, it is impossible to please everyone, that’s something else I try every year and consistently fail, all we can do is hope to please most people and learn from the, hopefully few, complaints.

Kids are quite definitely more expensive. At least a mortgage is for a fixed term, kids are for life!
:)

richard moss

Post by richard moss » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:06 pm

As I say, I appreciate that you can't please everyone and I appreciate the logic behind needing a big place for the meal. To be honest, I could live without the hotel/evening do bit - but I am disappointed at the rather inappropriate (in my view) choice of venue for the main event. It's a hell of a long trek for a road run and a cream tea!
1990 827 Sterling manual

andrewmcg

Post by andrewmcg » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:32 pm

Evening all,
I feel an explanation might help as to the reasoning behind the location of the National Rally.

For many years Mike Couldry organised the main Rally of the year at Belvoir Castle and then at the nearby Red House, Mike eventually wished to call it a day so for the year 2000 the RSR committee decided to organise a National Rally.

This first one was held at Duxford, which I organised along with Ben French, it was very successful and as a result the RSR has continued to organise a National Rally every July/August since then.

At the request of a large number of members and in view of the ever increasing cost of petrol it was decided that the National Rally should move around the country to a different venue each year and give everyone a chance of attending a rally near to them, and by popular demand be a 2 day event to cater for people that were prepared to travel a distance.

Over the last 9 years I think we have had some superb venues around the country and I think the relevant organisers have done a splendid job, it involves a lot of hard work prior to the day, as Stuart Devlin points out when he is organising the Annual Lakes Rally, well done Stuart, I agree with everyone you will never please all the people all the time.

When I was the Pre 1950 Registrar a certain member in the West country resigned his membership because 'nothing happened in his neck of the woods', when I suggested he could easily rectify matters by him organising something to happen his only comment was 'too busy have not got the time' , I fear a common response these days when it comes to organisations needing helpers.

Long may the National the Lakes and other smaller Rally's organised by members in their locality continue, well done to all of you, keep up the good work.

Regards
Andrew McGovern
Pre 1950 Archivist

richard moss

Post by richard moss » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:00 pm

andrewmcg wrote:At the request of a large number of members and in view of the ever increasing cost of petrol it was decided that the National Rally should move around the country to a different venue each year and give everyone a chance of attending a rally near to them, and by popular demand be a 2 day event to cater for people that were prepared to travel a distance.
I have no quibble with any of that - quite right that it moves around to allow members from all over the country to attend. If you check my previous posts you will see that I have not complained about the fact that it's in the West Country (one of my favourite parts of the world, in fact, as I have a large dollop of Devon DNA in me).

I queried the specific choice of Forde Abbey, a non-motoring location with no associated motoring event when, just down the road, there is the Haynes Museum (for example) which does cater for clubs like ours. I like car meets, I like motor shows and I like Rovers - but a Rover-only meet is a bit narrow minded for my tastes. As for stately homes - if I wanted to pay to visit a stately home, I would do so but I thought this was meant to be a motoring related event and as far as I can see there isn't enough motoring interest here for my liking. Are we a car club or a stately home appreciation society?

I acknowledge the hard work that the organisers put into these events, and I am grateful for their efforts which go largely unrecognised and unrewarded but I think that they've missed the point here. As I said earlier, I know from talking to a few other members that I'm not alone in thinking so.

I have one question and please don't think that I'm trying to be bolshie here but:

How is the Annual Rally location decided upon, who makes the decision and are the members consulted before the final decision is made?
1990 827 Sterling manual

andrewmcg

Post by andrewmcg » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:33 pm

Richard
I fully understand your viewpoint, a viewpoint which I know and appreciate from the various posts is shared by others. However a viewpoint equally expressed by members in the past was that to "keep the troops happy" please find a family venue that offers something of interest to members of the family who have no interest in cars.

Regarding your question, sorry, I cannot give you an answer as I have not been on the RSR committee for some 6 years or so.

regards
Andrew

richard moss

Post by richard moss » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:50 pm

andrewmcg wrote: please find a family venue that offers something of interest to members of the family who have no interest in cars.
With my wife and daughters, that just means cars, cars and more cars! :D
1990 827 Sterling manual

partviking

Post by partviking » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:07 am

I think the committee face a difficult choice when it comes to venue. You have suggested the Haynes musuem which may well interest those of us with 'petrol heads' but what about 'er indoors' and the children?
I have never been to Forde but like many Roverists (I think) my wife and I are National Trust members and such a venue would interest us both and as for the car content...well hopefully there'll be a field full of the best in the world!
As someone who has now got grown up children I seem to remember in the 80's & 90's attending those shows that catered for 'my' needs. So Penshurst in Kent (brilliant assualt course/climbing/activity place kept the kids amused for hours) Bromley Pageant (tons for kids though I accept not as good now) any steam railway or 'hands on' industrial heritage site etc.
I accept Forde may not suit your personal needs but as you've already accepted you cannot please everyone all the time so the answer is, unfortunately, as you've said is not to attend. Criticism of the venue I'm afraid comes across as you wanting a venue to suit you and your situation which would inevitably mean someone else would not be getting their prefered venue, is this any fairer? If the venue was changed to Alton Towers or Chessington I personally wouldn't attend but neither would I criticise the choice. I accept the venue will NEVER be perfect for me every year but will attend when it is and may choose not to when it isn't.
I think the comment re recession was perhaps ill judged, I lived and worked through the late 80's recession/falling house prices and the early 70's strikes/rampant inflation so many of us have been here before and to suggest those at the helm have not given some thought to those who are struggling is I think unfair. I well remember struggling then just as you no doubt are now.
You're main concern seems to be prices but when in your position (wife + young family) I couldn't have afforded to attend, and i'm sure the majority of members couldn't either. Thats not choice of venue thats a fact of life, theres never any spare cash when rasing a family.
I am genuinely sorry you will not attend as they say "the loss of one diminishes us all" but please try and cut the committe some slack, they are, I'm sure, genuine people who have to balance and juggle to suit the needs of all.