A day of escape from the garage

Give us some details of interesting Rovers you have seen
SHyslop

A day of escape from the garage

Post by SHyslop » Thu May 02, 2024 9:19 am

I needed to have all the cars in a garage out to work on the floor and as yesterday was the best day so far, it seemed a good opportunity to take some pictures. Over the past few years, thanks to RSR members Alan, Ian, Iain,Keith,Rob and Steve for selling me their cars which I hope are all enjoying their existence here now. I am short of one but it will turn up eventually, especially with the state of the market at present. Since you've been good enough to ask, from furthest to nearest:
1946 14
1947 12
1934 14SS
1938 14 (1901cc)
1938 20SS
1934 12T
1936 12
1937 10
rovers.jpg
rovers.jpg (118.97 KiB) Viewed 1410 times

RobHomewood

Re: A day of escape from the garage

Post by RobHomewood » Sat May 04, 2024 10:12 am

Wow what a line up! You have your own rally. Tell me though - what is the missing one? I dont see a DHC perhaps thats the one?
regards
Rob

SHyslop

Post by SHyslop » Sat May 04, 2024 10:48 am

Dear Rob,

Thanks for asking and your comments are much appreciated. The missing link is a 16, either a saloon or sports saloon, which is somewhat strange as my first "in the metal" experience with 30s Rovers was a post war 16 in 1981. I suppose I've just not been looking at the right time for one. There's plenty of them about in theory but I'd like a decent unmolested example, probably pre war, preferably black/ brown interior but I could stand another colour scheme if the car was otherwise right.

The economic situation generally has caught up with me in that I could have done with selling another one or two of the non-Rovers, particularly for garage space, but there just aren't any buyers for pre war saloons at present so I need to find the right final car then have a "clearance sale" knowing my collecting is done. It was always going to happen eventually, about last September the tap was just turned off and people stopped buying.

I had a conversation last August at a show with a well known Viking about DHCs but, to be honest, I'm just as happy with a good sunroof. I have advertised quite a bit for a 16 but the adverts produced a mixture of restoration jobs or seriously over optimistic pricing. Freewheel has genuinely produced, for me, some of the best balance of condition and price and it's a bi-monthly moment of excitement to see what might be in the next edition. Back to rain here today so maybe another year before they all get out again at once - I hope not!

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Sun May 05, 2024 10:32 am

I think it will be difficult to stop buying the different Rovers because there are so many variants especially in the 30's. And you are right about the market for classic car sales being dire. But it could make a 16 cheaper! I have just succumbed to buying another project car (non-Rover) where the vendors were still stuck at pre-slump prices and I probably ended up paying too much because I was hooked! I have just about managed not to have to sell the Rover to fund the new car so hopefully no major costs turn out to be needed (already realised I need a full set of tyres but other stuff is mainly cosmetic so far)
Good luck in your search for a 16

Rob