Rover speed 14 or speed pilot?

Please announce yourselves here when you join
Stefaan

Rover speed 14 or speed pilot?

Post by Stefaan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:27 am

Dear members,
I recently bought a 1934 Rover speed 14 Salmons and Tickford Dhc. It's registrationnumber is BPE 752.
And the enginenumber is 431026.
As the car needs a new wiringloom I have some questions?
On the dashboard there is only a key (on and off) and a pushbotton for starting. So this car has no startix system?
I have a startix in the spare parts that came together with the car.
The Lucas dynamo is the two wired C45HV. A new wiring loom and wiring diagram Rover pilot 14 Hp 1934 came with the car.
But in that wiringdiagram there is a 3 wired dynamo and a startix system.
I also found a 1935 Rover 12 & 14 wiring diagram and then the dynamo is two wiring but there is also the startix box.
I know there should be a startix switch on the dashboard if a startix box is used .
Kind Regards, Stefaan

lakesrally

Re: Rover speed 14 or speed pilot?

Post by lakesrally » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:41 pm

Hi Stefaan, the car will have had Startix originally but it looks like someone has removed it. Almost all Startix units have either been removed or by-passed, they are more trouble than they are worth. There would not be an extra switch on the dashboard for it, when it is wired in correctly then operation is totally automatic. Can you post some photographs of your car?

dhbuchanan

Post by dhbuchanan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:16 am

Stefaan,
Unless you actually enjoy replacing chewed-up Bendixes and gap-toothed flywheels, take lakesrally's advice and just forget about the Startix. Alternatively, install the bits in the right places but don't wire it up. Looking forward to seeing your Rover Tickford at rallies.
1939 20 H.P. Salmons Tickford D.H.C.

Stefaan

Post by Stefaan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:39 pm

If you're interested, here are some pictures of the car.

http://s304.photobucket.com/user/Stefaa ... iew=recent

Stefaan

Post by Stefaan » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:36 pm

Hello members,
Can anyone tell me where I can find a engine gasketset for my speed14 engine?
After inspection of the engine i found that the timing of the camshaft is not correct.
The only way to do the adjustment on the timing is by removing the radiator and the frontpanel of the engine.
I suppose it can not be done by only removing the dynamo.

Kind Regards, Stefaan

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:25 pm

Hi Stefaan, try Mike Evans on 0113 287 6196 if you are in the UK, I know he has some gaskets but I don't think he has any full sets left, though I could be wrong. You haven't got any spare manifolds or carburettors have you?

Stefaan

Post by Stefaan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:29 pm

Hello Lakesrally,
Sorry but I can't help You on any parts. I wish i could help You.
Does Mike Evans has an e-mail addres? Because i' m from Belgium and so it's more easy for me.
I have two addresses for spare parts. Meteor spares service and Viking engineering developments but I don't know
Who has the gasketsets. I'm also looking for a fuel cap, mirrors ,Lucas regulator and the wiper system. I only have 2 wipermotors.
But i think it should be a tandem system on the windshield. My car has the hydraulic brakes but the grille and wheels
Of a sports pilot. It's always been like this since new. I have a copy of freewheel december 1966 with a picture of my car.
The only difference is that the colours were black and white and they also mention that it is a "rare bird"

Kind Regards, Stefaan

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:31 pm

Hi Stefaan, Viking Engineering is Mike Evans, email p2roverman@uwclub.net ot p2roverman@gmail.com, try both, he seems to have regular email crashes! He might also read this as he does contribute to the forum occasionally.