Engine Fault

Please announce yourselves here when you join
chris dancey

Re: Engine Fault

Post by chris dancey » Thu May 29, 2014 12:10 am

If you think its a fuel problem, then I would suggest you have a blockage in the fuel line somewhere. If there is no seperate filter near the petrol tank, then dismantle and check the fuel pipe from the tank to the first joint, if clear then the next section..and so on. When you get to the fuel pump, there will be a mesh filter inside, again check for fuel continuity, then the last section to the carburettor bowl, there is a small cone filter in there. If all clear, chech the small valve in the float bowl, this may also be blocked, and another test would be the float itself. I had to replace the float on GEV ( '38 10hp ) as a previous repair had a large quantity of solder on the float, this was enough to affect the float performance...and hence the engine firing. I have replaced my points, condenser etc for an ' Accuspark ' ignition, was much improved starting, running etc. the original set-up can be replaced very easily, in fact I keep in the boot as a spare ...just in case !
1934 ( 1935 model ) P1 '10' Saloon RD 6160
1935 P1 '10' Saloon ( originally JB 6729 ) now VSJ 156
1946 P2 '14' Sports Saloon KPG 855
1933 MG J2 Cycle Wing Model APB 560
1933 MG J2 Competition Model ALX 124

rgall17263

Re: Engine Fault

Post by rgall17263 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:21 pm

I have now changed all electrics and getting a good spark but will still not start it seems to be getting to much fuel as the plugs are getting very wet and fuel lying in the manifold.
Any one got any idea what's the cause and remedy answers would be much appreciated.

Regards Richard