Forum discssions

47p2

Re: Forum discssions

Post by 47p2 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:30 am

The SAAR also use the self judging system but with a bit of a twist. Each entrant must hand in his/her voting paper and upon receipt of the slip being handed in they are given an award which can be anything from a brass commemorative plaque to a pen or a tea mug or a coaster which encourages a high return of voting papers.

Could this be something the RSR could possibly employ at their rallies?

johnwp5bcoupe

Post by johnwp5bcoupe » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:23 pm

We have a foot in both camps Alan!

You highlighted part of my reply but never explained why the situation was in your opinion fair?

If there is a well attended class and everybody bothers to participate it should work! fairly :? much better a cross section of other classes voting as there is less chance of the vote being "biased" and a lot of guys as I said like the opportunity to vote on a car they like in other classes :o

If as I stated there was only one person bothered to cast a vote and because the others never bothered the car which had a vote wins the rest of the situation I wont repeat.

Why the poor attendance of P5's? it has never been well supported on the last 4 of the 5 years that I have attended which is a shame! the Jubilee was an exception,so it is nothing to do with location??

47P2 has a valid point 8-)

If people don't participate why bother with awards? it is pointless to awarding anything! as it's not a true representation :?

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:02 pm

Have we got an IT guru who can up with a smart phone app for voting? If even 30% of the participants could vote this way and the app did the adding up it would ease the burden on the organisers. May even be possible to have a laptop set up at the control tent for people to enter their own votes who do not smart phones, if the form were simple enough then it might save the organisers even more time.

partviking

Post by partviking » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:09 pm

What I meant John was I feel voting for your own Class is IMHO fairer than voting for all and sundry by virtue of the fact owners of the same or very similar vehicles are more likely ( though I accept it's not a certainty) to have better knowledge and understanding of their own vehicles. When it comes to P3 P2 etc I don't have a clue as to originality or indeed what makes a 'good' car so am I really qualified to vote for a best in Class ? I think not, so for me leaving the Class judging as it is I think the fairest way to arrive at a conclusion though of course not everyone will agree with it. Voter apathy may well be an issue but that's hardly the fault of the RSR though I do accept where there are small gatherings arguably the vote could be 'rigged' .

All for introducing an 'Exhibitors Choice' type vote where any car attending was an option addition (Chris Dancey would have had my vote this year...a stunning display thanks Chris), that would give us the chance to vote for other Class cars we felt worthy without deciding the best in Class.

So far the response form the P5 Forum is the usual reasons we all have from time to time "on holiday" "car in bits" but Phils comment did surprise me saying he was directed to the Public Car Park when attending a 1993 RSR Rally in his P5 B.............surely an error or oversight.

Phil - Nottingham

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:56 pm

True though but as you know I make my views known and times have changed and we have had a P2 as well as the P5's , P4 and Land Rovers since 1996 so no problem 8-)
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others

johnwp5bcoupe

Post by johnwp5bcoupe » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:39 am

I received the latest Freeweel yesterday and I am glad to see there have been changes made in the way judging will done on small entry classes and the fact that with the old system you were penalised for doing the right thing.
The situation was to me very clear on the day but seemed very difficult for some of the committee to grasp! I wont go over what happened when I complained.

I thank Richard Bryant for his honest appraisal of why things didn't work on the day and hope the new changes will rule out the same situation occurring again!

Regards to all,
John.

dhbuchanan

Post by dhbuchanan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:17 pm

Having read "It's a Fine Judgement" in the August "Freewheel", the RSR can count itself fortunate in having solicitor Richard Bryant on hand to resolve what some members may have considered to be a tiresome, overblown and self-indulgent fuss about who should or should not receive gongs and in what rally attendance circumstances. Richard writes, in neutral tones, "We appreciate that for some members, seeking to win awards is a priority." Can I be alone in finding this a rather sad state of affairs?
1939 20 H.P. Salmons Tickford D.H.C.

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:29 pm

You are not alone Howard, see my comments on page one of this thread.

chris dancey

Post by chris dancey » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:22 pm

For me its about meeting up with like minded enthusiasts and making the best of ones time at the show. I try to add that little ' extra ' by displaying memorabilia of the era, dressing in period costume, writing up a potted history of the vehicle and adding any knowledge I have of the vehicles history. I always try to be on hand to discuss the mechanics of the car.. its a way of passing on my ' irrepressible enthusiasm ...( our editors description..not mine ), its nice to be appreciated, a lot of work, money and effort goes into keeping our vehicles road worthy and if this is appreciated then so much the better. As an unfortunate who can only manage three hours sleep at night, I often disappear into my workshop in the early hours to perform my operations, then return to my kitchen just in time to take my wife a cup of tea at around 6 am.

For some the prizes are important and if that what floats yer boat then great...but for me its more about the taking part !! :)
1934 ( 1935 model ) P1 '10' Saloon RD 6160
1935 P1 '10' Saloon ( originally JB 6729 ) now VSJ 156
1946 P2 '14' Sports Saloon KPG 855
1933 MG J2 Cycle Wing Model APB 560
1933 MG J2 Competition Model ALX 124

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:47 pm

You brave man Chris, if I started taking my wife cups of tea at 6am my life would not be worth living! :)