75 P3 INSTRUMENT PANEL

benironhorse

75 P3 INSTRUMENT PANEL

Post by benironhorse » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:16 pm

Compliments of The New Year!

The Rover restoration continues and my attention is now turning to the interior. No real issues with the upholstery but the instrument panel is causing a few headaches.
I'd hazard a guess that after chrome plating the panel itself was screen printed or painted black with the lettering printed as the last op.

My cars panel is exhibiting minor blisters through the chrome which will require stripping and re plating prior to painting .The problem comes in re producing the various white letters. First thought was Letraset but as it's not produced any more it's a non starter ,a printed vinyl "mask" will probably look too "plastic" and horribly expensive for a one off.

Do any members have experience of restoring the instrument panel to its original standard ?

Happy Rovering for 2017 !

Ben Hiley
07814 215 881

luli

Re: 75 P3 INSTRUMENT PANEL

Post by luli » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:36 am

The two main options are using Letraset fonts or preparing a computer generated sticker. You can watch them here http://wp.me/pXLKy-24r and here http://wp.me/pXLKy-XG. Helpful links are included.
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

benironhorse

Post by benironhorse » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:05 pm

Thanks Luli

Obtaining Letraset in the UK is proving very difficult .I've located a contact who's trying to source White 3mm upper case in a similar font to the original,I should have a response in a week or so.
There's a company by the name of Slaters who manufacture graphics and transfers for model makers .They produce 3mm high letters I'd guess in vinyl which rely on an adhesive to fix in position ----Could be tricky for an amateur like me but at least an alternative.
Not keen on this route as the finished letters would be proud of the background rather than giving a "printed" effect.
If any members have contacts for Letraset or similar, I'd love to hear from you.

Best Regards

Ben Hiley

benironhorse

Post by benironhorse » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:01 pm

Glad to report I've secured Letraset from Helen Stimpson of Ironrose (www.Ironrose.co.uk) Supplies are very limited and sell very quickly.Helen has been extremely helpful and I'm more than happy to recommend her services.

On a slightly different tack ,would the club consider commissioning an English translation of the Rover 10 restorations completed and so finely documented by Lulisml. The photos have certainly assisted me whilst undertaking the restoration of my own P3 75. The photographs are excellent however I'm no Guru on Google translation and English version would prove a valuable reference for future restorers.

Thanks to Lulisml for your help.

BenH

5395DG

Post by 5395DG » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:12 pm

This instrument panel looks different to my P3 75 six-light (1948) Is it possible there were multiple versions? Could this be a P2 instrument panel?