Maurdauder

bodgerbloke52

Re: Maurdauder

Post by bodgerbloke52 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:22 pm

Rob
All this is most interesting. I have forgot a lot of my English nomenclature. What is the difference twixt Coupe and Saloon? What does 4 light and 6 light indicate?
I think my car had a longer sloping back but it was a LOONG time ago. Worcester County and city understood. I think that I collected the car from a rural area OUTSIDE of the city, something like Powick, the car was in a hay barn, don't think there are any hay barns in the city.
I could get my brother to pop in to check some records, Where precisely would he have to go, Address and what to ask for. The city office used to be on Sansome street. You mention a paid service, does that indicate I could contact the appropriate office and pay for a search?

Roger

RobHomewood

Re: Maurauder

Post by RobHomewood » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:43 am

Hi Roger
The difference between saloon and coupe version of a model can be quite subtle but in Rover terms it seems a 'saloon' means more emphasis is given to the space for the rear passengers but the 'coupe' indicates a slightly lowered roof especially towards the rear giving rear seat passengers less headroom. Possibly the coupe is more aerodynamic? Rover consistently gave 'saloons' 3 windows each side (hence 6 light) and 'coupes' only 2 windows each side (hence 4 light). If you compare the 2 photos of the streamiline that I posted you can see that the saloon has an additional window behind the rear door. This arrangement was repeated through later models. Even the P5 had a 'coupe' version with a lower roof but didnt have the extra side window.
The Vehicle Registration archives for both Worcester Borough and Worcestershire County are held at Worcestershire Archives and they are at
The Hive, Sawmill Walk, The Butts, Worcester, WR1 3PD Tel 01905 822866 but you would probably go to their website
www.thehiveworcester.org or explorethepast.co.uk
If your brother were to go in, the microfilm copies of the records are on public access and the reference is Film No 4 looking between 1934 and 1936. Here is the explanatory document
https://www.explorethepast.co.uk/wp-con ... ensing.pdf
Best of luck!
Rob

bodgerbloke52

Re: Maurdauder

Post by bodgerbloke52 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:54 pm

Many thanks Rob

I have had an shuffle though the Archives but will have to leave it for a bit until I have a bit more time.
I know the Butts in Worcester very well, I bought my first Vincent motorcycle from a little shop owned by John Skellern.
I used to work in Pier point St Worcester
I will let you know what comes up

Roger