Tyres for a 95 P4

Willandra

Tyres for a 95 P4

Post by Willandra » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:12 am

Hi all from a new member in Australia.

I apologise if this has been covered many times before, but I tried a search and couldn't find the answer.

Do Rovers still have such a lovely quiet ride when fitted with radial tyres instead of cross-plys? If so, can anyone suggest a suitable size? Down here in Australia, the closest I can find to 6.70/15 is a 185/80/15 which has a diameter nearly two inches less than a 6.70/15.

Does this matter much? I am concerned because being a 95, my Rover doesn't have the overdrive.

Any suggstions or advice very gratefully received!!

Cheers all,

Paul

Neal P2

Re: Tyres for a 95 P4

Post by Neal P2 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:42 am

Hi Paul and welcome to the club.

I’m sure others will be able to answer your question better than me - I had a P4 (105) for many years and I stuck with the crossplies throughout - I ran on 6.40 / 15 (Avons).
My main reason was that the radial equivalent wouldn’t fit in the spare wheel tray, although I understand the next size down radial is ok, but looks a bit small in the P4’s wheel arches. Another consideration is that the steering becomes a bit heavier at parking speeds with radials but the roadholding is much improved over crossplies which tend to stick to white lines on the road like a railway line!

Good luck with your 95 the P4’s are lovely cars!

Regards

Neal
Last edited by Neal P2 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

roverdriver

Post by roverdriver » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:55 am

G'day Paul, Wife and I have two 90's both with 100 engines. Both had radials when we bought them, 185/80 R15. I bought a new set for one car about two years ago, they are Kumho brand, and I'm very pleased with them. About 12 months ago we had a set fitted to the other car, but Kumho weren't available, so had Hankooks fitted. Seem very good too.

Welcome to the forum. Whereabouts in Oz are you?
Dane, roverdriver, not a Viking!

Willandra

Post by Willandra » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:33 pm

Thanks Neal and Roverdriver,

I am probably decades out of touch, but it used to be that radials gave a very harsh ride compared with cross-plys. Maybe modern ones are not so bad. I am still a little concerned about lowering the final drive ratio, given that mine is a non-overdrive model. I will see how it goes on the trip home next week.

Roverdriver, I am not far from you, in the Bega Valley, NSW. I have seen your evocative video of your Rover on your lead-in road. Excellent. My road is dustier and rougher, but not so pretty!

Thanks for the replies,

Cheers,

Paul

roverdriver

Post by roverdriver » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:55 am

G'day Paul, Thanks for the comments about my 'Run in Gloria'.
I have sent a P.M. to you.
Dane, roverdriver, not a Viking!

Phil - Nottingham

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:49 am

The handling is transformed on radials and the road noise only increased slightly on concrete ones. The steering will be heavier at parking speeds though and a fulling inflated spare will not go into the locker.

I used to used Khumos - they were good but now not made so I have used Hankooks which are just as good

185/15 standard aspect.

Beware 8 ply C rated tyres as peed rating not high enough and these will give road noise
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others