Big hello from the new kid in Rover town 1948 p3

moshe

Big hello from the new kid in Rover town 1948 p3

Post by moshe » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:04 pm

Hello to you all, Rover lovers !

MY name is Moshe,a new R.S.R. member ,the only one ISRAEL,a proud new owner of a 1948 p3 Rover 75 6 light saloon ,

the only p3 in Israel.

Phil - Nottingham

Re: Big hello from the new kid in Rover town 1948 p3

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:16 pm

Welcome _ I hope you can post some pics and tell us more?
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:07 pm

Welcome, however did you manage to find a P3 in Israel?

Phil - Nottingham

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:19 pm

Sounds like old colonial type purchase but must have some good stories to it before and after British pull out?
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others

moshe

Post by moshe » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:08 pm

Hello again all, thank you Phil and 47p2 for your welcome .
My p3, R.H.D. export, came to Israel in 1948 from Australia with its first owner, a woman doctor, Celby Dorry, who went to live and work in Be'er- Sheva, a god forsaken place in the Negev desert. What a sight! A woman driving such a fantastic car, among all the camels, donkeys and Beduins, and on top of it, sitting at the wrong side of the car! (R.H.D).

Since then, the car had 3 other owners.
I found it by accident last April and bought it from its previous owner, who gave up on it due to severe accidental damage to the front suspention and right wing. He lost his brakes on his way to the MOT test, after the brakes were completely "overhauled" in a workshop, and used a concrete wall to stop the runaway car.

I'm doing all the works with my own hands, according the original RSR manuals and I found out that everything in: the brake system, the front suspention and steering, the clutch linkage was assembled wrongly, the other way around and upside-down.
No wonder the brakes didn't work!

I hope the car will be back on the road again within a month.

I could use a good clutch advice: Although I tighten up the clutch lever all the way, even to a no-freedom position, still the clutch wouldn't seperate completely, and I can't shift into gear. I suspect a broken operating link. Is there a way to check it up before removing the gearbox?

Thank you,
Moshe from Israel.

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:02 am

It could be that the clutch plate is seized onto the flywheel/pressure plate due to lack of use

Dirkco

Post by Dirkco » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:20 am

Hello Moshe,

Congrats on finding a P3 in a most unlikly place. You are sure to have the only one perhaps in your country.

I own a P3 as well and your clutch may not be a clutch problem at all. The P3 has a very curious mounting system for the transmission and the shifting mechnism. If the car had a front end colission then the engine and transmission may have shifted on there mounts. If you remove the transmission cover from inside the car you will notice a bracket that is part of the shifter along with 4 bolts 2 on each side of it. Loosen these up and this may relieve strain on the shifter and then you will know if you have an alignment problem because it will become easy to shift into gear. You may have to repair or replace the engine mounts to correct the alignment. If the car shifted correctly before the accident then I would bet this is the problem. If you need pictures to better uderstand let me know and I will take some this weekend and give you better instructions for adjustment.

Lastly, it is possible to assemble the clutch linkage backwards and still have it appear to work but you will loose travel and hit a hard stop.

Good luck and post pictures of your progress

Dirk in the States

patrick hiron

Post by patrick hiron » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi Moshe
I rebuilt a derilict P3 and chronicled my adventures in the RSR magazine " Freewheel " Ask the RSR librarian to print out a list of articles under the heading of "Isambard Kingdom Brunel " or "Patrick Hiron" , this will give you a list of how not to do it and how to get it right afterwards articles !!
The original Rover manuals are full of advice of the " Return the motor and defective component to your Rover dealer , who is uniquely equiped to deal with this problem "type . Translation ,Gentlemen do not get their hands dirty !
You should get the RSR parts list and the latest version of the RSR P3 shop manual, which deals with the reality of rebuilding and maintaining a 60 year old classic car . The shop manual has a detailed section on how to strip , rebuild and set up the the weird, Rubik's cube ,P3 clutch actuating mechanism
Cheers and good luck ,
Patrick [RSR P3 75 Technical consultant ]

moshe

Post by moshe » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:54 pm

Hello all and thank you all for your wishes and welcome.I'm happy to tell you that I managed to locate and fix the clutch problem.Since I rebuilt and set up the weird actuating mechanism, exactly according the RSR shop manual instractions,I was very sure it should work.When I first tried it,it didn't separate because the clutch was seized due to lack of use, then I started to wind up the clutch lever, up to no pedal freedom position, pressing the pedal down hard, it passed the separating point and the clutch plate was pressed by the three levers,onto the flywheel ,fooling me ,for no separation.
readjusting the pedal freedom to 1" slack fixed the problem.

I'm going to assamble the front suspention with new bushes (synthetic) and rubber balls, (bought from scott in oz).

Do you think it's a good idea ,to lubricate the inside part of the bushes and outside part of the rubber balls,with sillicon grease?

Thank you and happy rovering !

Moshe from Israel.

moshe

Post by moshe » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:37 pm

Hello friends !

I need to replace my front telescopic socks.(one is broken).My car came with Gabriel's and I think it's not original.

The Rover part no. got me no where.Can anyone tell me what would be the perfect fit for my 75 p3,a modern maker and

his update cat. no.

Thank you and happy Rovering :

Moshe from Israel.