Engine goes bang

P3Steve

Re: Engine goes bang

Post by P3Steve » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:26 pm

Hi Neil Ive had an offer for the manifold from a closer sorce but thanks for the offer - my wife has had bad knees for a long while so she wasnt very mobile any way but this has been an extra blow on top of that.
I've been doing some prep work ie a good decoke and a set of new exhaust valves which I had in stock (Seems silly not to while the head is off) and again I'm pleased at what good shape the top end is in, one question the head gasket - gaskety sealer or dry what do you all think opinions seem to differ on this - it is a new old stock gasket that I also had in stock. Regards Steve

P3Steve

Re: Engine goes bang

Post by P3Steve » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:25 pm

Good news chaps, I spent this afternoon putting the last bits together on the Rover and took it for a test drive and everything seems fine, just a littlt bit of fetling and fine tuning and it shoud be all done. A slight misfire was traced to a broken plug lead cap in which the wire had pulled apart inside (prob when I pulled the lead off at the start of the job) managed to efect a quick repair but will nip down my local parts shop and get a new one/set tomorrow but at the momment all's well. Many thanks to Stewart aka Lakesrally for the manifold which was in great condition and for all your help and support. Just need to get a new fan belt as i noticed the one which was a new old stock one that I fitted only three years ago is in poor shape - worse than the original one that it replaced so that has gone back on as a temp fix so all in all a big job (well a heavy one those cast iron heads are a big old lump to lift off thankfully not an expencive one as I already had the Gasket set and a new set of valves it was just the time and as I work away from home most weeks that was the main problem as to why it's taken so long still it should be good for a long time now and I know that the top end is in really good condition. Regards Steve