The sunroof

SA103

The sunroof

Post by SA103 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi all, The rear part of the sunroof - the fixed panel that the sliding roof slips under is missing. I don't know how it is constructed. Although the Rover workshop manual reprint has some advice about sunroof construction I am left with some questions. I only have the 3 timber pieces, the steel panel has completely gone. Does anyone know what guage of steel it was made from? I was thinking about 1.6mm thick maybe OK. Similarly I don't know how the steel panel was fixed down. There are holes that indicate some form of fixing about every 2 inches or so. I am guessing 6g countersunk screws? Does the steel panel have a folded over edge at the front - where the roof slides under? Also is there a padding of some sort between the steel and the black material (don't know the correct name for that?). I believe I've heard that someone used a blanket material for padding in a similar case. Does this fixed part of the sunroof just finish flush with the metal roof and has anyone used any sealant? If there are any other tips they'd be appreciated. The sliding part of the roof is in perfect order, so its only the back that's "broken"
Cheers
Adrian

GOY189

Re: The sunroof

Post by GOY189 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:19 pm

Hello Adrian,

To answer your questions, the steel rear sunroof section is made from a steel plate drilled with approx 2mm holes, an anti drumming measure, I think.
- There are reinforcing strips underneath, resistance welded on.
- The plate is screwed to the ash frame.
- The hood material that covers the steel is fixed at the front by inserting it between the 2 surfaces of the lip at the front, then using aluminium rivets to secure the hooding and to squeeze the 2 surfaces together (see diagram). http://s973.photobucket.com/albums/ae21 ... lained.jpg
- The hooding is then folded over the front lip (where padding is fitted between the steel and the covering hooding), stretched over the steel, and tacked to the ash frame.
- The finishing bead is tacked to the ash ("O" section uppermost) and then the whole rear portion of the sunroof is fitted to the car.
- The sunroof is screwed from below into the ash frame, through rubber spacers of differing heights.

The picture shows my rear sunroof, with the method of fixing illustrated.

Hope that this helps
Mike

SA103

Post by SA103 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:18 am

Hi Mike
Thankyou very much for the detailed post - which I am digesting. It is more complex than I supposed! I've noticed that there is an alloy circular spacer at the front of rear panel, where the others are rubber spacers. Also what guage is the steel panel? Would it be as much as 2mm? Or is it less? Will, as I say digest this, and may come back with some further questions, thanks again for the detailed answer
Cheers
Adrian

SA103

Post by SA103 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:04 am

Particularly to Mike, who replied to my earlier question about the sunroof rear cover panel. I've a couple of specific questions about the rear cover:
1) Do you know the thickness of the steel sheet used? I'm guessing somewhere around 2mm - I haven't anything to judge this by.
2) What is the spacing and pattern of the 2mm holes? ie 50 x 50mm square pattern - or similar description
3)What are the size and number of the reinforcing pieces - it looks as though there are two - are they the same guage as the sheet - ie about 2mm
Thanks - this will help me no end - I think I am better off not guessing too much.
Best Regards
Adrian

kearnsg

Post by kearnsg » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:45 am

Hi Adrian and Mike and others
Although this post is almost 2 years old, I am having similar issues with a P3 rear sunroof.
I am restoring a P3 Light 6 and I have the front part but the back part is missing.
Adrian, did you find out details of the rear panel? I am hoping to get the dimensions of the three timber pieces and details on the steel panel (dimensions and perforation spacing). Also how far does it overlap the roof line along the sides and rear?
Hoping someone can help.

Cheers, Geoff

jefflee

Post by jefflee » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:09 pm

Hi
It looks like Sunroof Season is here again. I have just removed the sunroof complete from my 46 16 ss,
I will be striping it to restore this this week, if anyone wants any measurements etc. whilst its off let me know,
I know the post war 10s are steel and other models may be different size.
cheers Jeff Lee.
1937-20 SS _ 1938-20 SS _ 1946-16 SS _ 1947-16 saloon