Rover Interior

SA103

Rover Interior

Post by SA103 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:25 am

Hi All
I'm looking at the interior of the Rover P3 and after some suggestions for materials that were used in the process of trimming the interior of the car. With the sliding sunroof I find that the green trim and the headlining both need replacing and I'm having some difficulty finding a suitable replacement, bearing in mind that at present I don't need to retrim the car entirely. The "green trim material" is cracked and crazed and also faded and generally unserviceable. It is a fabric type base, with a green vinyl like cover, the closest match I've been able to find is through Segals, but it has a texture that is too pronounced, the headlining through them is a felted rather than a woven. I think that this may be available through Woolies. But am interested to know whether anyone has recently retrimmed a 1948 car in green and kept close to the original materials.
Cheers
Adrian

dhbuchanan

Re: Rover Interior

Post by dhbuchanan » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:14 pm

You'll get the woven green union headlining for the sliding section from Woolies, but it's most unlikely that it will be a close colour match to a faded 67 year-old original as the green colour goes grey over the years, sometimes quite dramatically so.
If you're having trouble matching the "vinyl-like" trim material, try contacting J. Hewit and Sons of West Lothian who sell a morocco-printed bookbinding material in green by the metre. This is the closest thing there is to the original Rexine. It can be used anywhere inside the car, but is not suitable for the outside surface of the sunroof. Because it's thin,it covers panels and narrow window and post fillets really easily without bulking them out.
Also worth a punt for matching trim materials is Martrim of Cheshire.
1939 20 H.P. Salmons Tickford D.H.C.