P2 tourer at Brightwells

David2021

Re: P2 tourer at Brightwells

Post by David2021 » Sun May 05, 2024 3:17 pm

Latest update!
It is amazing what skill (not mine) can achieve. Both doors now fit and shut perfectly. The driver's door frame needed a lot of work including re-making a complete corner frame, but it is done. Very satisfying.
Next "to do" is to get some life into the fuel tank sender unit...Good news is that the solenoid for the changeover can clearly be heard working! All the trim is out and I am not intending to replace it with new unless absolutely necessary. Carpets will mostly have to go, but the "side trims" apart from the driver's door are just about saveable with some new ply and some re-gluing. I will have to put up with the green paint over the green Rexine. .
Further good news is that I think I have found an economically viable source for Rexine type trim. It is a cotton cloth with a nitro cellulose finish (Like the original) and it is produced for book bindings and covering. Thin like the original and strong and (potentially) hard wearing. I'll experiment further & will announce my findings to a startled world … IF it works! I have also found decent quality 3.4mm three ply (used for flooring apparently) at a builders merchant. Fortunately the applications on the car do not need much flexibility, otherwise you are into aircraft quality ply (for light aircraft skin) which is eye-wateringly expensive.
Plan is to have both cars at the RSR Rally at Milton Keynes on the Saturday....

SHyslop

Post by SHyslop » Mon May 06, 2024 4:26 pm

Well, that's all good news! A rexine replacement is particularly interesting. I had occasion to correspond with the owner of a 30s car a couple of months ago and he was asking for thoughts on his door restoration work. The thing that jumped out of the photos was firstly the thickness of the ply he was using (about 6mm from memory) and the thickness of the vinyl/leatherette. I don't think he was too happy to have it suggested that it was all too much but this happens time and again with what might be described as newish to the hobby "perfectionist" restorers. They think it's a 70s Aston Martin or a Bentley they are restoring so it's most heartening to hear you've found 3.4mm ply and this bookbinding material.

You'll have a proper car when it's done and I do hope you'll keep us informed of progress as it's always cheering to know of cars like this finding the right buyer.

David2021

Post by David2021 » Mon May 06, 2024 11:40 pm

Thanks for the supportive comments!
I cut the ply door panels today and stripped the old material from what was left of the originals (with the number 58 pencilled on them!)
I don’t think much fabric will be saveable, it is a complex lay up to make the design of the door card an it is very fragile.
I have located a supplier for the two piece retaining clips (eleven per door) most are very rusted and not reusable. Bresco have them “for Rover and Rolls Royce” (and priced accordingly)
Much of the trim is tacked to the ply with tiny little tacks- about 1/8”.long…I can’t find anyone to supply them, so will probably have to use a modern stapler. It is all unseen, which is something.