Reset Springs

AdrianGoodyear

Reset Springs

Post by AdrianGoodyear » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:38 pm

I have just had my springs reset by Jones Springs in Darlaston -I'll be collecting them next Saturday. The car is a 1947 P2 12hp 6 light....
When I took the springs off, there were a number of thick washers and some kind of fibre or leather washer on the shackle pins and the front anchor bolts for both the front and rear springs. The parts book mentions ground steel washers, thrust washers and shims. But, these items don't appear in the parts book illustrations. So, I'm wondering if anyone has dismantled their springs and therefore knows the correct sequence for assembly. Thanks in advance for any help given. Adrian Goodyear

luli

Re: Reset Springs

Post by luli » Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:38 pm

See Here:

https://lulis.org/2017/11/22/%d7%99%d7% ... %9b%d7%95/

The spacers were made in the machine shop after careful measurement of their required thickens. The trust washer was hardened after the machining.
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

rgburlend

Re: Reset Springs

Post by rgburlend » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:34 pm

Hi Adrian,

I would suggest the use of oil filled Nylon 6 (or polyamide 6) often called (Oilon) to replace the fibre washers rather than the Teflon (or PTFE) suggested as an alternative. This is available in rod and sheet form and is very easy to machine and is widely available and not particularly expensive. PTFE has a tendency to flow under pressure thus altering the carefully measured clearances. Oil filled nylon is a very robust material and depending on the grade can be more wear resistant than bronze and acts to protect the adjacent surfaces. I used this material to rebush my rear swinging links on the rear springs, eliminating the bronze bush altogether. The hardened pin that is pressed into the chassis had worn quite a bit but I machined it true again and fitted an oversize bush. It has performed well for a number of years and several thousand miles and doesn't clunk over bumps.

Richard