Floor panels

Shaf1926

Floor panels

Post by Shaf1926 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:06 pm

I have to make up new floor panels as our car doesn't have any at all.

I have a few questions.
First of all, how are the floor panels attached to the body? There are a few "unused" holes on the sill and the transmission tunnel with what look like captive nuts. I assume I bolt into these.
But with what? Hex bolts, pan head screws? Are the heads recessed into the wood at all or do they stand proud? What size washers?

There are several bolts through the transmission tunnel holding things on like the hand brake bracket etc. These all stand proud of the tunnel, so a piece of wood would foul on them.
Should these bolts actually go through the wood (I.e. I have to undo them all, put the floor in, then put these bolts back in.
Or do I make recesses in the bottom of the wood to clear these heads? If I do that then the floor has to come out to access them in the future.

The metal foot wells for the rear passengers. Do the go in above or below the wooden floor?

Last question. How thick should the floor be? 1/2 inch? 3/4 inch?

HAD501

Re: Floor panels

Post by HAD501 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:16 pm

Floor boards are secured by 1/4 BSF countersunk head screws with floorboard washer underneath - no need to countersink. The edge of the floorboards can be cut away to fit round the bolts on the transmission tunnel. Boards don’t need to be 3/4 - I think I used 10 or 12mm and they’re still going strong.
Hope that helps, DaveM

Shaf1926

Post by Shaf1926 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:50 am

Hi, thanks for the reply. Very helpful.

There is another question I forgot to ask. At the front of the transmission tunnel, just back from the transmission itself, are a couple of brackets.

They are just there in free space. Does the floor just bolt through these? Or do I have something missing?

Sorry don't have a photo at the moment

Shaf1926

Post by Shaf1926 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:49 pm

What language is that?